Sign in to follow this  
Vanwall

Walking Day

As that time of the year is fast approaching, does anyone remember walking day? I can remember in the fifties walking from Westfield St Methodist Church down Kirkland St up Lingholme Rd, Denton’s Green Lane (past Geoff Dukes trying to spot him) then down Rainford Rd to the Recreation Ground opposite the Open Air School. We then met other Churches and took part in a sports day with lots of food etc, ahh the good old days!

Remember it like it was yesterday. We congregated at St Andrews and walked down the Green and Lingholm Road. Turned left onto Boundary Road till we got to Lingholm corner were we marked time as all the other church groups joined us before we went on to Parish Church fields which then were in rural tellins. The sun always shone and our shoes stuck to the gas-tar whenever we stopped. The bigger banners had to be lowered to go under the trolley wires at the top of Greenfield Road

• Like (+1) 1

Herbert St in Sutton to Sherdley (Sutton?) Park

The photo is Town Ground Sutton

post-67-1148497905_thumb.jpg

i remenber being wrapped up in me grans shawl watching a parade from me grans gate in a little cottage at the very top eend of chancery lane looking t;ords boardy lane, it could of been parr st peters walking day. then in later years taking part in various walking days as a drummer with the holy trinity church lads brigade band. walking days are a thing of the past these days. the kids wouldnt do it. i imagine them saying effoff I'm not doing that. can you honestly imagine kids to day in their trackie's and trainers in ther socks, and basball caps pionting piontlesy skyward. it just woudlnt be "cool"

I remember the ones in St Helens very well - though I couldn't remember the name of the field oposite the Open Air school where they finished up, thanks for reminding me!

Is it my memory playing tricks, or did they used to have a maypole dance at the end too?

By the way, they still have very well attended walking days in Warrington..

That field in Rainford Road was the Parochial Recreation Ground. There was a hut for the older people to play bowls there and also huts for scouts and guides to meet in.

Never remember seeing a Maypole dance though. I was going there from around 1955 to around 1968. It was also used by the Parish Church Youth Club to have their meetings on during the summer months.

With the Whit Walks being a Christian Witness festival - I doubt if they would have had Maypole dancing on the same occasion.

Maybe the field was used for some Mayday celebrations - apart from the Whit Walking Processions.

Edited by Olliebeak

I was brought up as a Catholic, but all my mother's relatives were Church of England. So I was never in the walking day, but we used to hear the bands approaching and go out to watch them marching up Greenfield Road. Even after it became one way in 1972, I remember the procession still went up it for a while. One of the small banners read 'Feed my Lambs' and had been embroidered by great-aunt Bessie, whose husband Ted Grace had been, I think, Sunday school superintendent at St. Andrews. After lunch, we went to the Parish Church field where my mum would get together with her C of E relatives, and I would go off to play with my Protestant cousins whom I never saw any other time. I remember a stall where you had to guide a loop along a wire without the bell ringing, and another one where you fished for metal goldfish in a big tin can. It was all fairly low-tech, but had changed little since my mother had been a girl. Afterwards, I used to ride back to St. Andrews on a lorry and help to put everything away. In my mother's time, there had been a fancy dress competition. In fact, I seem vaguely to remember one in my own time in the early sixties.

One of my Sunday School teachers at St. Andrew's (in the mid 50's)was a Miss (or Mrs) Lyon - dunno why her name just came back to me while reading that last post. She lived somewhere near the top of Denton's Green Lane or perhaps Greenfield Road.

At St. Mary's Sunday School, there was Mr and Mrs Huyton - they lived somewhere along Cooper Street. I think his first name was Peter and he was the Superintendant while Mrs Huyton took the younger children. They were a really lovely couple.

I wish!

I tell you what, the gas-tar wouldn't stick to your shoes today; at least not here in Cumbria. It's perishing!

• Like (+1) 2

My walking day was with Ravenhead St.Johns Church.Can't remember the route but took in Prescot Road,Lugsmore Lane,Thatto Heath Road,Elephant Lane the on to some fields at the rear of Thatto Heath school.Met my first girl friend at one of these walks but didn't last long although I can still remember her name but its not meant for publication here.

My children used to walk from the Congregational Church (where Nat West is now) to some playing fields near Hewitt Avenue. I also used to watch the walkers going past the Nurses Home in Greenfield Road 50 years ago.

I remember the walking days, we all assembled at York street and as the other Sunday schools came down our band joined the parade. I remember as a very young child being on the back of a lorry which was the way that the younger ones took part in the whit walk. I remember as we got older walking behind the band and the banners up duke street on to greenfield road and up to the field which was opposite what would now be St Thomas Canterbury school. We had a great day out ice cream and games sandwiches and pop. My uncle always drove the lorry along with the other drivers. Fantastic memories.

You and I were probably in the same processions, Swimmer - I was taking part in those Parish Church Whit Walks from 1956 until around 1967.

Never remember being on a lorry though - but from 5yrs old, I was probably considered 'big enough' to walk, as the 'St.Andrews' part wasn't a long way.

My children used to walk from the Congregational Church (where Nat West is now) to some playing fields near Hewitt Avenue. I also used to watch the walkers going past the Nurses Home in Greenfield Road 50 years ago.

That was called Congs field in the 50's & 60's.

Parish church went to Bishop Rd. York street went to Rainford Rd. if i remember , will post a pic. of North Rd. on walking day in picture forum !

• Like (+1) 1

St.Andrew's, St.Mary's, York Street and Hard Lane Sunday School were all Mission Churches belonging to Parish Church (St.Helen's) - they all had their Whit Monday Walk in one huge procession to Parish Church Field on Rainford Road.

Each one would start out from their own place and join up with the main procession at various points on the way to the field.

Lovely Family Fun Day - happy innocent times :).

Do you remember the men having great difficulty in manoeuvring the banners under the trolleybus wires at the top of the Green?

• Like (+1) 1

sorry all , ought to have expanded on my posts and pic. that was St. Marks walking along North Rd. to Bishop Rd. , completely forgotten which other churches were involved . Going from memory but I think Haresfinch and St. Davids

There was a church walking today in Billinge.

There is every year.

Unfortunately, I was not able to get any pics.

I could imagine in Billinge it was walking days when going up ,And Running days when coming down, lol

Edited by SKYMAN
  • Like (+1) 1

Another early 50s memory of Walking Day is of folk lining the route to watch it all go past. Occasionally an Aunt would nip out into the procession to shove a few coppers into a child's pocket.

There were always one or two WW1 veterans suffering from shell-shock too; a bit like the early symptoms of muscular dystrophy and WW1 amputees in their chain-operated wheelchairs

• Like (+1) 1

I remember the walking day from Holy Cross school to St Anne's church ground in Sutton. I don't have a clue where that is or how we got there but it did seem a very long walk. There always seem to be crowds there, so I wonder now if we were joined by other schools. I was a very good runner so even at a young age,8,9 or 10, I was always worried that I would loose my race, but only remember competing with children from our school. Does anyone know any different?

Joyce

• Like (+1) 1