Sign in to follow this  
Blossom

Fleet Lane

Hi

This is a long shot! I was born and brought up in Parr and have recently got into geneology, I have discovered from my dad's birth certificate that he was living with his parents (Richard and Martha) in a caravan on Fleet Lane, which belonged to a local chemical works, does anyone know anything about the works or the caravan's

:unsure:

Could be the Sidac works Bonnie that went from the bottom of Sutton to Parr but someone else on here will have a better idea of where it was exactly good luck

I could be wrong but I think there was a chemical factory in fleet lane near the bulls Head

The Chemical works that you are referring to was located on the right hand side of Fleet Lane going towards Derbyshire Hill on the Parr side of the Railway crossing. (the other side was the railway hotel).

I was talking to someone recently about this works. We knew that whatever was made there was secret and had some connection with the WW2 war effort.

They apparently didn't employ any local workers, They were transported into the works to maintain the secrecy connected with the work..

this chemical works was owned by sutcliffe & speakman. I was told that they made chemicals for use in gas masks.