sailorbill

Cenny Mod

On 06/03/2011 at 10:47 PM, Hangonamo said:

I had the misfortune to attend this school from 1958 to 1962. In the first year our class, together with another first year class, had to march to Windle Pilkington for the morning lessons. The classrooms we used were on the top floor and the playground was on the roof. Our teacher was Sid Griggs and the other teacher was called Mr. Gregory if my memory serves me right. PE or PT was held in the gym of the YMCA next door and was accessed through a gate in the playground wall.

For rugby and soccer we had to march to Merton Bank School in Parr. For cricket we marched to Bishops Road. Woodwork, was as mentioned, taught in a building opposite the Theatre Royal.

When one compares the facilities available in today's schools to the facilities available to us, Central Modern was a dump.

Hi Hangonamo. What a fantastic guy Sid Griggs was.If old Griggsy  was your form teacher that I think puts you in 1D right next to me in 1C. I did the same 4 years as you .He always came to school in a brown trilby and a fawn trench coat and in class the same tweed sports jacket ,he always seemed to be smoking (I'm sure he smoked in class) and the state of his fingers with nicotine was terrible.Also we could never place his accent which seemed somehow foreign, a tiny bit German we thought.The worst teacher I remember was Mr Finch but no more of that .In I think 1962 it was, there was a school trip to Speke Airport where we saw a couple of DC3s , and a jet engined caravelle take off and then on to Speke Hall.That was the best afternoon I spent in school .It took us into another world altogether and it just didn,t last long enough.Finally ,do you remember "the beast of cenny mod".Keith Bennet .Playtime one morning I remember him taking a hymn book from the stacks on the window ledges in the hall and throwing it at Mr Griggs.Whether it connected or not I fail to recall ,or the bedlam that ensued.    

When I joined in 1958 the teachers in the first year were :

1A. ( Jazz ) Taylor

1B Griggs

1C Gregory

1D Smart

I can remember a visit to Speke Hall but cannot remember going to the airport.

I remember Keith Bennett. All the boys were both in awe and terror of this guy who was fearless.

I am unaware of him bullying any boys, but him and Sid Griggs didn't get along to put it mildly.

For readers fortunate enough to have escaped this teaching establishment at the bottom of North Road, to help you understand better what Master Bennett was like, think Biff Tannen, Marty McFly's nemesis in the Back To The Future film trilogy.

I remember certain incidents of his exploits. Once during break time he entered Sid's classroom, took his cane from the top of the cupboard where it was kept and twisted into a pretzel shaped knot. He then left a note next to it saying - and I remember it to this day - 

the fantum strikes agen.

I remember the hymn book throwing incident.

as you say it was during a break and it must have been raining as we where all corralled in the hall.

Griggs came out of a classroom that opened onto the hall.

As he turned to walk toward Dopey's office, an object came flying through the air and struck Sid on his back.

He spun around to identify the culprit, ( innocent faces all round ) he spotted Master Bennett, in his rage he grabbed him by his lapels, pulled him to him, whereupon Keith kneed him in the groin. Sid cried out in shock and agony, his legs buckled and clutching his plums he collapsed against the wall.

What the outcome of this incident was for Keith I do not know.

What became of him I don't know.

Does anyone ?

I have seen him twice many years ago now both times on North Rd ,the first time I think was in the mid-eighties in the Magpies Nest and then later on in the barbers shop next to the YMCA .I think he owned both businesses.Another event I recall was the last day before the summer holidays, and the head prefect that year was a lad named Small .He wasnt very well liked and a number of the leavers grabbed him along with a length of rope and tried to attach him and the rope to a overhanging lamp bracket over the entrance (the one nearest Glasseys toffee shop) .I dont think for a minute it was a serious attempt,but the lad himself was understandably very shaken.

Thank you for that information knockaloe.

Hadn't heard about the attempted lynching of the head prefect.

This was on reflection not so much a seat of learning that you graduated from, as more a place you survived.

The saying what does not kill you makes you stronger springs to mind.

Best wishes to both yourself and Mr. Bennett.

I went to Central  Modern when it was still called Higher Grade and left in 1947 to work at Pilkingtons Head Office in Grove Street.  Walked to school from Windlehurst and to Bishop Road etc for games.   Did us no harm and we didn't get overweight then.

The two woodwork teachers were Mr Clayton and Mr Grayley in my time ,(58 to 62) who took half our class each .Every boy  had one side of a bench and at the end of every lesson tool cupboards were inspected for missing tools.Mr Grayley had a damaged leg and wore a calliper which squeaked at every step,so if you were messing about there was no way he could sneak up on you.We always wondered why he never put any oil on it (heartless I know) there was no WD40  in those days.Things I made were a bookcase which only recently got dumped ,and a toolbox.The games teachers travelled from the school in their cars but always left us to carry the cricket bags up to Bishop rd and back .No way were they going to soil the boot of their cars.  

For my first year at the school we had to go to Merton Bank School for Rugby & Football

I LEFT 1946 THE TEACHERS WERE GOOD BUT WE DID NOT APRSEATE  THEM  AS ALL THE YOUNGER MEN  WERE IN THE FORCES