Sign in to follow this  
Alan

Cowley horror stories

Bullying wasn't in Cowley?But I bet quite a few were snowballed.Standing on the side of the steps near the canteen ,made to give a speech.Or being snowballed from the canteen steps as crowding into the doorway that led into the downstairs corridor.

I was there when Gerry Dowse died. I remember Jock Stronach, Kipper (strict but good teacher). I remeber Flash clifton sand PAM starting. Pam was the only one who came by car.

What year did Pam Morley start Oller I stared there in 1948 and he was there then?

I left Cowley in 1977 , that was the only happy day I spent there , hated the place , Mr French refused to teach me (this was not for academic reasons ) and I wound up in Mr Wilsons set , Mr Wilson was a true gent , does anyone remember him ?

Other teachers I remember well of were Mr Morgan and Mr Fordham . The school generally seemed riddled by snobbery and only rugby , latin and cricket counted for anything , my memories generally coincide with "Cumbriakid"s earlier post .

I remember a maths teacher called Mr Mercer , who had longish hair and sometimes wore a mortarboard on special occasions , he was rather unpredictable .

On the subject of tutorial weaponry , I remember Tom Cheers took us for geography and was armed with a heavy atlas , which served as a head slapper and Phil Morgan had a femur bone and adressed us as "(insert surname)Creature" .

Mr Rosser was a decent bloke , taught physics and was very understanding when I set fire to the lecture theatre with petroleum ether , he once caught me sharpening a large bowie knife with a hand cranked rotary grinder which I had clamped to the desk during a geography lesson and at 4 o'clock I had to see him in his office , he gave them back to me , with a very reasonable telling off , he phoned my father so that I wouldn't be released onto the street armed and unaccompanied .

At the time Mr Rosser was acting headmaster , Flash Clifton having had a heart attack , Mr Rosser later helped me to get a job , by putting in a good word for me .

I still have a report from Cowley , naming me as the worst pupil they had ever had , signed by Flash , thinking of framing it and putting it on the wall , I did quite well at the other schools I attended , but left Cowley with 2 "O" levels and a degree in class warfare . Cowley and me just seemed to bring out the worst in each other .

• Like (+1) 1

grasmere-village-hall-also-known-as-new-

So how many of you remember this place?

We stayed there in the Whit Holidays I think - I was there 1963 - 69 and went most years. Little Ebb (Mr Frodsham) ran it early on and then it was taken over by "Jack" (Geography teacher in the room next to the woodwork room).

I was a ' Cowley Cowley custard ' boy from '62 to '69 and have enjoyed reading people's experiences from their times at Cowley . I too have fond ( and not so fond !!! ) memories of Walter Wright , Maurice Clifton , Eb Frodsham , Dan Rodden , Kong , Harry Siggers , 'Woddy Wilcox ' and his foul-smelling pot of boiling wood-glue etc , and the best Form Master ever - Ray French . I am surprised no- one has mentioned a Chemistry Teacher ' Herman ' Williams , whose practical demonstrations invariably ended with fires , explosions or an evacuation due to toxic fumes . After his retirement we had Mr Rosser who was an excellent Teacher and spent many hours trying to teach me the finer points and skills on the Cricket Pitch !! .

We used to have a Cricket match against a Cowley Girls Team each Summer but with Ray French as Umpire we never stood a chance !!! . We then , in Winter , played against Cowley Girls Hockey Team and we got hacked off the pitch with very little sympathy offered .

Happy Days .

• Like (+1) 2

Hi Athers

I have a pic of the cricket 2nd XI with Herman. It's on the Old Cowleans FB page

Ken

Edited by Orful

There are lots of photos and memories on the Old Cowleians Facebook page - from both the Girls' school and the Boys' school - there are nearly 1000 ex pupils so you are bound to find someone you know!

Hi Athers

Couldn't post the pic - but it's on the Old Cowleians FB page

K

I was there 1957-62. Was in Romans so assembly position was behind Celts on left side of the hall. I had the misfortune of having to stand behind Ray French when I started and he would be in upper sixth form. He was a giant and I saw nothing except his back for my first year. My number was 3208.

Spent a while working in Kong's tuck shop when it was in the pavilion and that probably accounts for my weight problem. haha

Was on the ill-fated Grasmere camp in 1960 when poor John Skelton drowned. I recall that Kong had to go off to possibly Lancaster to make a report. During his absence we sneaked into his room ( yes he had a room whilst we slept on the floor ) and pinched his white pumps which were his weapons of choice. We threw them into the river and cheered as they floated away. Needless to say he wasn't amused.

Check fsforber.I also worked in tuckshop.Did you ever remember the nets on the main field.We used to get a lad called Graham Ball to bowl slowly to us to see if we could hit the ball over the school into the quad.I also remember John,but wasnt at Grasmere.I left in 61/62

Edited by non sibi sed omnibus

On 2/14/2016 at 0:43 AM, Spikewolf said:

At the time Mr Rosser was acting headmaster , Flash Clifton having had a heart attack , Mr Rosser later helped me to get a job , by putting in a good word for me .

Agree that Mr Rosser was a very decent bloke - taught me a lot about Chemistry and having an enquiring mind.  Flash Clifton was largely occupied away from teaching latin while I was there because of the Mr Wright long periods of ill-health (also heart problems).  I believe Flash also had the chemist's shop near Parish Church (run by his wife maybe) - but for some reason you were not supposed to mention this.  He did once soften up in a lesson and wax lyrical about sleeping under the stars in Italy in the war.

I was at cowley from 1967 to getting asked not to return after being in the fifths, I remember most of the names in the above posts. We were the last year to go after the 11 plus so no new kids for two years. This meant we got thrown down the banking two years running.

HW and Engineer.

Flash also had chemist at bullshead.

There was also having to stand on the stone sides of the steps upto canteen.

Or getting snowballed in doorway to school.

On 06/09/2011 at 05:40, non sibi sed omnibus said:

Hi alan,born in town near boundary rd,lived in parr,went to cowley,1 son went to oxford.my attitude-work hard play hard.had great friends at cowley though dont see many now.NO SNOBS with me.

Hi,

I went to Merton Bank Primary and lived in Park Road .... won a scholarship via the 11 plus and went to Cowley in 1960 ......  Kong and Naylor hated me and i hated French and Latin so ended up at Parr Central  after one year of rolling down the banking and being a "fag" in the canteen.

. I remember 2 boys from Merton Bank who went to Cowley Boys and then onto Oxford .... David Spark and Graham White .. always wondered what they became ?

Forgot about the banking!.Do you remember the columns at side of steps to canteen.Thats were plebs had to stand and give a speech? Good training for FUTURE PMs etc dont you think?I left in 62.Do you remember any kids names?those mentioned in thread.

If you left in 62 you might remember Alan or John McCarol who lived next to me at the Primrose Vaults in Park Road.

As its now 58 years ago I only remember the 2 clever kids from the Wimpy PreFabs in Parr. DAVID Sparks and Graham White.

Alan know quite well.He lives in Billinge.Parents did also have pub opp school on corner Boardmans lane.I lived off Ramford st and went to allybob where took 11plus.

Memories do fade but i found a copy of my class there!other fotos about me have also surfaced!!! all via Reporter.BUT HAPPILY NO NAUGHTY ONES-------YET!!! 

Please pass on my regards to Alan  ... he will remember me (Richardson) as John wore the Cowley school uniform first then Alan and then it was passed over the wall to me.

The McCarrols moved down Park Road to the Princess Royal. There was also a Cowley family lower down in Park Road (near Milsops grocers) called the Graysons (Alan; William and Colin?) all 3 went to Cowley I think...

I left St.Helens in 1973 for Australia and have been in Melbourne ever since.

Alans wife Cath sadly died some years ago. and i havnt had much formal contact with him for a while. She worked with quite a few of us in the Town Hall. It was quite a clique in the best possible taste! cos there was another girl who also sadly died and worked with her.All worked in TCs DEPT.We were always told-Youll obviously know about it cos typists in TCdept would send stuff on the jungle telephone!!There were quite a few lads and girls worked in either Treasurers or town clerks depts. We were like a LARGE RATPAK! including wearing CROMBIES- HOW NAFF!! and including each others Stag parties usually at BROWN edge pub!though we all had our own lives and friends.

I only met up again with Alan etc in middle 60s as i  went to work in lpool.Coming back HOME was the start of a FAB time middle 60s onwards.Till i moved again in 70s to warrington.But one way or another paths xed.

There was also 2 guys who were ex Cowley who helped me with my homework in 1960 and worked at the town hall in weights n measures. Jack Bradbury and Keith Webster .... lifelong freinds ... still in contact with Keith.They were part of the Friday Nighters singing group.

I also worked at the town hall in the TC's department with Alan and Kath in the 60's/70s.   I was quite shocked to hear that Kath had died, do you know who the other girl was who died, Non Sibi?

I.Eileennec,So you were another TC Grapeviner?

I was there between 1965 to 1974.So i dont know what you knew her as We used to  just call her LITTLE BERYL.Her married name was SMITH?.She used to have a lovely voice and knew she used to sing at weddings.Obviously dont know your proper name single then assume?Beryl lived near to us and Kath lived not too far away.About a mile. 

I'm sorry if i cant give more info. We have daffodils planted in the village to remember the women whove died of Cancer and thats a few sadly.

Thanks for that, yes I was another grapeviner.  Very sorry to hear about Beryl as well.  She was a particular friend of mine but we lost touch a long time ago.  I actually got her job working for the TC  when she left.  Long time ago, but good memories.  My name was (and still is) Eileen Cox.  I worked for Bill Halsall and John Ellison, and then the TC and DTc after Beryl left.  I was there between 1966 and 1974.  

Hi again.sorry cant remember that name.Seems asthough you did what i did 1974!!! reorg!!!Do you remember The Davies sisters.Ken Barston,Alan culley,Barry Dickinson,Ray Wright,Noel Tickle ,Ken Ince,Hilda Ince Linda(Bate)Cropper.etc etc.my wife knew John Ellison,she was a secretary in Social Services she worked in Hardshaw st then Lord st! All these little offices-OH SO MANY SECRETS!!