Sign in to follow this  
oaker

Carr Mill, Pleasure Park.

I remember me and my brother hiding in the bushes waiting for the little train.When the driver got off to open the gate we jumped on the back and got in for nothing.

Edited by grazdraz

the roller rink was to the right of the building as you looked at it from the road.

The roller skating rink was outside at the rear of the building. There is a photograph on the Carr Mill Dam section of photo's showing this. The dance hall in 1961 was on the right side of the building where the bay windows were and they only sold soft drinks then. The lads probably went in the Carr Mill Hotel before going there pepsi.gif

will be making my monthly fishing expedition to the dam on thursday, it's strange that even now i can imagine and recall how it used to look when i am sat holding my rod and waiting for a bite..

Edited by Handsome Johnny

I know exactly what you mean, HJ - it's as if the 'ghosts of the children that we used to be' are still around the place :yes:. In my mind's eye, I don't even 'see' the new overflow - the sloping grassy bank is still there for 'roly-polying down' :D:.

• Like (+1) 1

i can still see the helter skelter, the castle amusments arcade, cats whisker and the boats, i usually fish near the old boathouse and still remember the building with the pontoons at the side for tying up the boats. in one or two places traces of the boathouse still remain, but sadly the rest are just ghosts of a long lost childhood.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes Ollie,I can remember doing just that and landing in a pile of nettles,OUCH!!

I still think it would be worth trying to get back some of it's past glory.

Landing in nettles was always a regular part of the joys of a day out back then, tessmop - it hadn't been a good day out until you'd had an encounter with nettles, thistles or a blackberry bush ;).

Will you be fishing in the dig pit HJ? I might go there myself weather permitting to find some of my ghost

I was interested to read this thread as I lived opposite Carr Mill dam from 1951 to 1969 and have very happy memories of playing round the dam, going on the little train, going to the bluebell woods, rolling down the grassy banks at Happy Valley and paddling on the steps. When we first lived there I can even remember the farmer walking his cattle along Carr Mill Road, taking them to the cattle auction that used to be near Burkhills cafe, I think. Happy days.

Welcome to Connect. You might be able to clear up a mystery which cropped up some time ago. I said I remembered cycling to Carr Mill in about 1962 or 1963 and visiting the Sands Cafe adjacent to the dam and the pleasure park. Other members insisted that it wasn't called the Sands then, only later. Can you recall anything about it?

It must have been the early 1960s when I last went there and I'm sure it was called the Black Cat

I was taxiing for Keith Farrell in 1970 and it was The Sands at that time - I remember pick ups and drop offs there

It must have been the early 1960s when I last went there and I'm sure it was called the Black Cat

Or maybe Cats Whiskers. Certainly Cat was part of its name before it became a sort of cabaret club with "turns" on.

it was the cats whisker in the early to mid 60's it then closed and re-opened as the sands night club in the late 60's early 70's.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks HJ, I was beginning to think I dreamt it

I agree with HJ. It was called the Cat's Whiskers in the 50s/early sixties when the amusements were there and the roller rink, and we used to hear the juke box over the loudspeakers on a weekend. I used to think it was great - don't think my mum and dad agreed. I remember one of the songs they used to play was "Lollipop" by the Mudlarks- so when was that - late 50's? How sad am I to remember that? Then it closed down and reopened as a night club with artists and bands on, possibly in the late 60s, early seventies.

• Like (+1) 1

LOL Eileen, that's a trip down memory lane. I remember "Lollipop" - I lived in Moss Bank 1952 to 1970. Didn't spend a lot of time at Carr Mill, used to go the other way to Crank and the woods, but we did go at times.

Excellent. So how much earlier can anybody recall it being the Sands?

I left Carr Mill in 1962 for Rainhill but still continued to visit my mum.

I am pretty sure that it was the Sands in 1963.

As some of you know, I wrote a 'story' about growing up in Carr Mill. I sent

it to the Reporter with photographs (which I never got back) from my home

in South Australia.

It was published in Whalley's World and I have it here. I have it laminated.

If I knew how to put it on here I would do. It is the story of my first visit back

to St,Helens...as seen through the eyes of a young girl and then as the young

woman I was on that first trip back.

I always shed a tear when I read it.

• Like (+1) 1

I never wavered in my belief that it was called the Sands in 1963, but it's good to hear it from somebody else. Later, when a night club opened under that name, it struck me that the name had been revived after a number of years. As I said, I used to cycle up there on a Saturday afternoon, and return just in time for tea. I recall that, after one such trip, the first episode of Doctor Who was on television, and that started in November 1963.

Would love to see that if possible Clancy

Me too. Is it small enough to scan?

One of the members is going to help me :-)

I'll ask him to call it 'Clancy's story', I don't mind that my real name is on there.

Edited by Clancy

Sorry to bring this thread up again, but just to set Griff's mind at rest,

have a look at these Griff and see if any jog your memory.

But please no fighting, or I will be in big trouble. rolleyes.gif

http://www.sthelens-..=carr mill&cat=

Edited by Phyll