Sign in to follow this  
Dion

Chinese restaurant

The Silver Star WAS NOT the same restaurant involved in the 1963 riot.I can't recall it's name but i'm pretty sure that Chinese was in Church St near the post office.

It was called The Sunrise.

Found this article while Googling, telling the account of the Chinese Riots.

Brian Peace 24

5 May 1963

St Helens, Lancashire

Brian had gotten into an argument over the bill in a Chinese restaurant. Six Chinese employees attacked him with steel and lead pipes, pieces of timber and a pick-axe handle. He staggered outside and collapsed on the street. He was taken to hospital but died shortly afterwards. An angry mob of 300 White men congregated outside the restaurant and smashed tables, chairs and the front window. Forty police officers were deployed to keep order. Half an hour later another Chinese restaurant was attacked. The 6 Chinese, Tsang Koon Lin, Tsang Sung, Tsang Fon Yaw, Tsang Wan Sang, Tsung Fat & Le Gam Po were charged with murder and causing grievous bodily harm to another customer. At their trial at Liverpool Crown Court the liberal authorities found 5 of the Chinese guilty of manslaughter, and they received only 3 years each. The last defendant, Le Gam Po, was found not guilty and discharged. The people of St Helens were furious about the verdict.

It was from this site.

http://thefallenlist.blogspot.com/2005/11/fallen-1960-to-1979.html

You come up with the goods everytime Phyll,you're invaluble to this site.l remember it very well it was just before l left school in july of that year,the bus from Parr would stop outside the Chinese near the Theatre Royal,we all thought it was that one at first because it was boarded up.

Thanks Tessmop, that's very nice of you.

Though some people don't like all my links!

I REMEMBER that all the chinese were victimised because of this incident,even the laundry in north rd,,i believe that the owner was born in this country,I'm not taking sides but at that time it was quite common for the staff to be mocked and skitted by drunken customers,it still goes on but on a much smaller scale,

The koh i noor was an indian lower down from the chinese silver star( both names correct early 70's) The indian was later renamed a passage to india after being taken over by the owner of the shapla(indian that opened circa 1980 having previously been the poppin cafe)Orinally occupying 1 building the koh i noor expanded into dickie glovers chippy.All gone now except the silver star,which became sammys after it's owner(sam tsang) oddly enough the building is now an indian

After all these years I have found a picture of the Chinese restaurant opposite the Theatre Royal. I wasn't sure if this was where the man was killed, but this was the one I was interested in.

The sign neon sign says 'Sun Wah' on the front, but another old sign has 'Yung Kong' as far as I can make out. 

If I knew how to post the picture I would.

Edited by Dion

The building (the original Silver Star virtually opposite the theatre) is currently being refurbished and going to be a shop and restaurant. There was some pics on facebook the other day. I saw the photo and can confirm it was one of the very first Chinese restaurants in town in the 60's.

It was not the one involved in the murder of Brian Peace, that was in Corporation St.

Edited by kizzy

Kizzy, Theatre Royal and Chinese opposite ARE in Corporation Street.

Yes of course they are - slip of the street names :)

I meant Church St. was where the Peace incident took place.

It might have taken 13 years but I'm glad that one can be crossed off the list of things I really needed to know.

If only I could find out what type of jukebox was in the El Toreador café I might be able to sleep at nights.

The one I seem to have in my head was a blue one.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 05:40, Dion said:

After all these years I have found a picture of the Chinese restaurant opposite the Theatre Royal. I wasn't sure if this was where the man was killed, but this was the one I was interested in.

The sign neon sign says 'Sun Wah' on the front, but another old sign has 'Yung Kong' as far as I can make out. 

If I knew how to post the picture I would.

I just came across a pic too.

44afdc9d9971858fd73c6f8c65d6f00f.jpg

I am pretty sure that was the one where the man was killed as i think it was the only chinese restaurant in St Helens at the time.

No it wasn't. That incident happened in Church St. this photo is Corporation St. opposite the Theatre Royal. If you read the earlier replies on this thread it will make it clear

• Like (+1) 1