1851Census Market Street St. Helens

Guest bobhill
    By Guest bobhill,
    Hello , Does anyone have the 1851 census please? We are looking for an Archibald Hill who may have been living in Market Street where his Daughter Matilda was born 2 March 1852,which is more likely, or Peter Street where he had a son born in 1853. Can anyone please help?   Thanks   Bob Hill

JONES

1moxnix
    By 1moxnix,
    Florence THORNTON was the mother of two older boys and twins, Harold JONES and David JONES of St Helens. The father was Richard JONES. Richard raised David and Florence raised Harold. The other two sons were shipped to Canada as Home Children. The entire family was estranged but today the children of three of the sons, Richard, Bill and David are attempting to contact the remaining cousins in St Helens. To the best of our knowledge the children of Harold JONES are Doreen and Allen (Alan?) JONES.   Another person we would like to contact is Florence's daughter Margaret BROWN of St Helens. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

THORNTON

1moxnix
    By 1moxnix,
    Florence THORNTON was the mother of two older boys and twins, Harold JONES and David JONES of St Helens. The father was Richard JONES. Richard raised David and Florence raised Harold. The other two sons were shipped to Canada as Home Children. The entire family was estranged but today the children of three of the sons are attempting to contact the remaining cousins in St Helens. To the best of our knowledge at least two of these siblings are Doreen and Allen (Alan?) JONES. Another person we would like to contact is Florence's daughter Margaret BROWN of St Helens. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. .

St Helens, Chorley & Wigan

Carolyn
    By Carolyn,
    This sounds like a weird question - is/was there anywhere in St Helens that could also be classed as being in Chorley and/or Wigan? One of my ancestors, Thomas BANNISTER appears to have quoted his place of birth as all three on different censuses.   Further details are in the Surname Interests area if anyone needs them but I thought this particular point might make an interesting general discussion - do you have relatives who quote their birthplace as somewhere different every time on census returns?   Perhaps Thomas had an odd sense of humour? (Perhaps it's genetic?)   Regards,   Carolyn

Emerson

Gricey
    By Gricey,
    My mother, who died in 1941, when I was 4, was Elizabeth Ann Emerson. She was Irish and married Robert Grice, my dad. There is a connection with the name Bone/Bones. They were married in Warrington, but there is also a connection with Burtonwood where Grandad Bones was buried. Can anyone help? Cheers gricey

BANNISTER

Carolyn
    By Carolyn,
    I am looking for two BANNISTER families (as far as I know, they are not related?) in St Helens. I will do this in two posts to avoid confusion.   I will start with my own ancestors!   Thomas BANNISTER (born around 1861) was my great great grandfather. There is some confusion as to where he was born. The information below (working chronologically backwards in time) will explain what I mean!   I first found Thomas BANNISTER, his wife Jane (nee HOPWOOD) and their children on the 1901 Census at Kelsall Street, Oldham, Lancashire. He is listed as being born in St Helens.   On the 1891 Census he and his family were visitors at Jane's parents' house on Cog Lane in Burnley. Thomas' birth place is listed as Chorley. There is absolutely no doubt that this is the same family as above on the 1901 Census.   Thomas and Jane's son, John William BANNISTER (my great grandfather) was born in 1893, at Argyle Street in Burnley - I have this information from his Birth Certificate.   Thomas and Jane were married in 1887 while both resident at Queen Street, Wigan. I have this information from their marriage certificate which also states that Thomas' father's name was William BANNISTER.   On the 1881 Census, the only Thomas Bannister I could find of the right age and the right father's name was living at Vauxhall Road in Wigan. His birthplace is listed as Wigan. I can't prove that this is the same Thomas Bannister but I strongly suspect he is.   So why would someone have two, maybe three different places of birth mentioned on different censuses? Does anyone know (with boundary changes etc it is a possibility I suppose) whether there is/was any area which could be classed as St Helens AND Chorley (AND Wigan?)?   One thing I do know is that all three census entries list Thomas Bannister's occupation as Collier or Coal Miner. The family also seemed to move around a lot - in addition to St Helen's, Wigan, Chorley & Oldham they also put in an appearance in Yorkshire. It is highly probable that they were moving to where work was plentiful.   Any ideas, anyone?

Dick Kerr Ladies International LFC

Gricey
    By Gricey,
    Hi Dave, I'm attaching the photo and a bit of info. The Goalie is my Auntie Emma Evans nee Gricegricey click picture to expand

Does Anyone Know Of An Old Water Mill In N-Le-W?

Marie
    By Marie,
    Does anyone have any information about a water mill that used to stand near the Nine Arches at Newton. I guess it would be quite a long time ago.

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.