Beechams

Lankylad
    By Lankylad,
    Found this on the www.a2a.org.uk site   In 1857 Thomas opened shop premises in Wigan which enabled him to carry on a mail-order service and obviated the need for peddling. It was here that tragedy struck. Jane Beecham, his wife, was illiterate and one Saturday a young girl named Elizabeth Smith entered the shop and requested a pennysworth of laudanum. Jane, who served her, omitted to remove the previous label from the bottle or to mark it appropriately. 14 weeks later the girl's brother accidentally overdosed with the laudanum and died. Although a verdict of accidental death was returned, the public of Wigan were not so ready to forgive. Thus it was that in 1860 the Beechams moved to Milk Street, St. Helens. Here Thomas concentrated exclusively on the sale of his pills. His mail-order service was expanding but once again he had to rely on market trade. In 1872 Jane died and the following year Thomas now fifty-two married Sarah Pemberton aged twenty-nine. By now the business had expanded so much it became necessary to employ full-time staff. Two of the first to be employed were William Moss, a teenage boy engaged as a packer and an eleven-year-old boy Tom Oldham. These two remained with Beechams for many years, Moss eventually becoming Works Manager whilst Tom Oldham became personal groom to the family.

Burial Project

Dave
    By Dave,
    David Ball is starting a St Helens burial project for our site. Emails went out today to people who have put their details on the Name Interests list, but we'll put the same link here for the rest of the members.   http://davgw.net/gendocs/bur-project.htm

St.Helens Virtual Cenotoaph

Hovis Presley
    By Hovis Presley,
    while ago now maybe 5 years, i spoke to a bloke called Bill who ran the site and gave him info on various persons mentioned. He died a couple of years back. Does anyone know if anyone still has the site on their HD? Its a shame and I would like to help get it back online. I am sure I could just about do it!!   cheersx

Gethin Family

jill
    By jill,
    Does anyone have links to a family called Gethin? An Elizabeth Gethin gave birth to a son, Miles, at 101 Lyon St in 1897. They were from Wolverhampton originally.

Greenfield House

Hugh
    By Hugh,
    Can anyone tell me what Greenfield House, 1 Greenfield Road was used for in 1920. I have an interest in someone who worked there. Hugh

FAIRCLOUGH

eejayess
    By eejayess,
    I AM LOOKING FOR ANY DESCENDANTS OF THOMAS FAIRCLOUGH WHO RAN A TOBACCONIST'S SHOP IN LIVERPOOL ROAD DURING LATE 1800'S. HE HAD SONS, JOHN, EDWARD, JOSEPH, THOMAS AND FREDERICK. DOES ANYONE HAVE THESE NAMES IN THEIR FAMILY TREE.

RC +CofE

Hugh
    By Hugh,
    My mother told me a tale about my granddad Michael Hogan. at the time he was living in Sutton and helped a Catholic Prist, the date would be around 1856 to 1866. The priest was very friendly with a minister from the Church of England and thay met almost every day, thay decided to be burred together, considering the date and the Catholic church at that time,if it happened it would have been unusal to say the least. the church was in Sutton and possible St Ann's Can any one shed any light on this Hugh

Coxheads Haulage

kwikksilva
    By kwikksilva,
    Does anyone have any old photographs which related to what used to be Coxheads haulage yard and offices in Boundary Road/Cresswell Street. We now use the building as a retail outlet, but are desperate to find photos of how it used to be, so that we can use them to decorate the interior of the building...we think it would be a nice touch - then and now

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.