Pilkington Payroll 1849

Lankylad
    By Lankylad,
    This is interesting link to many of our ancestors.   http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~mhender/Pilkington1849.html

Park Hotel

Dave
    By Dave,
    May 2004       July 2004    

IRELAND

anglegrind
    By anglegrind,
    Edward Ireland born in Kirkham, Lancashire, in 1801. Married Jane Roby at Liverpool in 1830. Lived in Bold up top 1840, then St Helens.

JONES Family of Marshalls Cross

halj
    By halj,
    Am trying to find the parents of William & Edith Jones of 24 Chester Lane Marshalls Cross can anyone help?

Sacred Heart - History

Laner
    By Laner,
    A couple of weeks ago I said that I would post some history on Sacred Heart Church that is sadly being demolished. Here is a shortened version taken from a much larger document.     click picture to expand Sacred Heart parish was formed out of what was a town centre school problem in 1850. The development of industry in the town had led to a population explosion and a growing population meant an increase in child numbers. This required an increase in schools, not the schools of today, but just a collection of buildings where children could be given the new "novelty" of education. Lowe House School had been open for a year at this stage and was packed, not in terms of class numbers which were at about 70 per class, but in terms of space. Father Thomas Ullathorne, who had become Superior of Lowe House in 1854, decided to tackle the problem and opened another school in Finger Post called St Josephs in 1857. He then decided to tackle the Greenbank problem, which housed the famine victims from Ireland and was very much seen as a Catholic problem. He purchased an old Methodist Chapel in Mount Street and established a school under the care of the Sisters of Notre Dame in 1858. After this he bought a plot of land off Liverpool Road and in 1862 he built the Victoria Schools.     He then decided to build a church and the project was taken over by the diocese. Father Powel from Birchley called a meeting in October 1876 above Mr Dromgooles shop and another meeting was held a month later in the Town Hall where £2000 was pledged by the people of St Helens. The foundation stone of the church was laid by Bernard O'Rielly, third Bishop of Liverpool on Easter Monday, April 2nd 1877, under which was placed a sealed bottle containing a certificate and coins of the realm.   Father Daniel Harrington was the first priest but was relaced by Father Patrick O'Reilly in Sept 1877. The church was officially opened on Whit Sunday June 9th 1878, fourteen months after the laying of the foundation stone.   The church was described by a reporter at te time as being of 14th century architecture, consiting of nave aisles, sacristies, confessional and cloisters. It has six bays and is 133 feet long, by 31 feet wide and the height to the ridge of the roof is 59 feet.   The total cost of the church was £9,000, of which £3,000 was raised and £6,000 was left as a debt on the church. In 1880, Fathers William Walmsley and John Martin took over the parish and built the house next to the church at a cost of £600.In 1925 the Jubilee Hall was built by a Father Hearne. He had a house in Borough Road which he reffled off for the parish and to fund the construction. The tickets were 6d each and a lady in Raglan Street won it. He died in 1920 and is buried in Windleshaw Abbey Cemetary.   Over the next 50 years a succession of priest came and went, probably the most noticable was Father Kennedy, who funded the construction of Edmund Campion and Carmel High Schools. The priest that everybody remembers is Canon Fitzpatrickwho came to the parish in 1960 and retired in 1979. The final mass took place on June 27th 2003 and the church is being demolished in June 2004.

What's this about?

Dave
    By Dave,
    This area is to be less general and more focussed on current times in St Helens. I'm hoping to diversify the board a little more and to attract a different kind of participating audience, although existing members are more than welcome to help to start it off. You probably all have an interest in the area. It'll be moderated differently to the more general Connect area up the board.   Members can post in it now.

MERCER - Parr/Broad Oak

bartonaj
    By bartonaj,
    Hi   Have been trying to research my family tree - surnames MERCER and ECCLES - but am a bit stuck as living in Australia, its quite hard to get your hands on census/parish record information before 1881!!   Am particularly interested in David Mercer (b.1815 d. 1883), who in 1881 was living with children Sarah Ellen, Emily and Arthur Mercer (my great-grandfather) in Broad Oak Road, Parr.   I think David's wife was a Mary Greenall, and that there was an age difference between them. Family stories go that Mary was a schoolmistress at Parr St Peter's Infant School but have found it difficult to get more information than this. I know both David and Mary are buried in Parr St Peter's graveyard.   David's father was I believe a John Mercer and would have been born in the 1780's. I also believe his mother was a Sarah Mercer (though have no census evidence to back this up).   Also interested in the Coates family of Broad Oak, Parr (late 1800s). James Solomon Coates owned Broad Oak Farm - again, any info on the family or the farm would be of interest.   On the Eccles front, my ancestors all came from the Bold area. In 1881 they were living at Maypole Cottages, Gorsey Lane, Bold. I think this is now part of a farm, but any info anyone has on the history of Maypole would be good. Names of interest are Henry & Phoebe Eccles, and my maternal great-grandfater, John Joseph Eccles, who dies at Broad Oak, Parr in the early 1960s. Am not sure what church these ancestors would have attended - any ideas? I see that St Nicholas' Sutton was only consecrated in 1847 so I wonder were they would have gone before that?   Anyway, any help anyone can offer much appreciated.

Latter Day Saints 1881 missing Data

daven
    By daven,
    I have found a number of my family groups missing from the 1881 latter day saints data base (on line and CD ROM). Has any one else found similar missing info ? Any logical explaination and solution welcomed.   Regards     Daven

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.