Ashall

lynne
    By lynne,
    I have the marriage certficate of Peter Ashall and Ellen Rigby,[my great grandparents] married July 21 1862 in the chapel of Rainford.Grooms father given as John Ashall, brides father Philip Rigby. Residence at the time of marriage Rainford. Can anyone tell me any more about this family. LYNNE

Bromilow's Delf

PRV
    By PRV,
    According to old maps of St Helens, this area was off Islands (Highlands) Brow, after the Canal and before the railway line.The Census records show some houses at Bromilow's Delf, but the Delf itself was the Sandstone quarry which in time became filled with water. The whole area was known as The Delf and the local men and boys played football on the Delf and also went swimming in the Delf. The owner of the land in that area, living in Haresfinch House, was David Bromilow. He had mining interests and it is possible that he (or his company) could have quarried the sandstone and created the Delf. It is indeed possible that he might have used the sandstone to build Haresfinch House, though I do not know if he did in fact build it. The whole area was buried under the sand of the burghies as more and more of the glass polishing waste poured out of the shutes over the quarry and surrounding meadow land. All of this has happened since 1920 and Bromilow's Delf is only a footnote in History. The quarry is covered with 50-100 foot of glass polishing slurry. Suitable for housebuilding purposes?

Morris Homes Development off Prescot Road

gh688
    By gh688,
    Have been looking at the new houses being built on this development (Grangeside) and have been told by a few people that the rest of the old estate (Cumberland Ave, Patterdale drive etc.) is due to be demolished within the next 5 years.   Does anyone know anymore about this? Is it fact or just gossip?

StOCKS PARR

margaret2r
    By margaret2r,
    Hi everyone. I've traced my ggrandfather to STOCKS,PARR in 1851 (thanks to Jill) What is STOCKS ? He was a beer4 seller (whatever that is)at BULLS HEAD.   Is that pub still there ? His name is AARON JOHNSON b 1817 His wife ANN was listed as a WIDOW in 1861 Publican at BULLS HEAD.   CHEERS, Margaret

Grange Park School(Broadway)

eddiedunc
    By eddiedunc,
    Does anyone know the history of Grange Park School or where I can find the information?   Eddie

John Martin

hartington
    By hartington,
    Hi anyone know of a John Martin who I have been told worked at Phythians Butchers. in St Helens he came from a large family I am looking for information on his brother who I have been told was a Major in the army. he Married Elizabeth Mulcahy she came from Ireland. and thet went to live in Oxford. Hartington

Local gen mailing lists

Dave
    By Dave,
    Sometimes a few people might be interested in a family name or a subject/topic which might not be suited to a web based forum like St Helens Connect. An example of this might be the 'Critchley' mailing list that I set up some time ago, where people with an interest in that name can join and communicate with others simply through their email clients, and any message posted to the list will go to all subscribers.   I'm willing to set up more lists for people who want them. The only rule will be that your list must be based on a name with local (to St Helens) connections, or on a subject based on local (to St Helens) history.   Does anybody want one?

making a new links page

Dave
    By Dave,
    I'd like to make a new links page for the members who have genealogy sites (with St Helens ancestors on them). We've had links pages before and some still exist, but I'd like to make a new one that'll link in from the site home menu.   I can think of four to start with, so if anyone would like to add more please use this thread and I'll make the page soon.     Jill and Ian's Genealogy     The World of Grice Family Tree       Eddie Duncan's Family Site   Dave's Family Site (Currently offine)  

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.