All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Last week
  2. A bit missing is that the infant and junior classes eventually came back to the main school, then from about 1964 the infants and juniors relocated to Tennis Street North. But it doesn't matter because it's well after the period of interest.
  3. This is the only early Photograph that I could find.... this is circa 1910. Rivington Road Council School opened in 1909 as a result of the Education Act 1902. It provided for the education of Infants and boys and girls from 7 to 12 years of age. In 1935 the Rivington Boys and Girls' Schools were designated 'Senior' schools and took pupils from the age of 11 to 14 years, while the younger 'elementary' pupils were transferred to Windlehurst, Knowsley Road and St Luke's Schools. By 1968 the two schools of boys and girls were amalgamated into one new school called Rivington Secondary (Comprehensive) School, later known as Rivington High School, which eventually closed in Jul 1991. The other photo above is actually of St.Teresa's school.
  4. Dave

DNA testing

It is interesting and there's more in some of the other papers (pictures and other odd snippets). He gets to live in the house and has £50,000 a year. His dad didn't seem to like it and he turned into a reclusive junkie - ignoring the existence of his son. They'll probably make it into a film.
  5. No wonder buck house have not replied lol
  6. no probs.This will remind also if i spot any similar on my travels around costa del st.ellins. thanx
  7. Hi, this is the info I have on him. Thanks for your help! Corporal William George Bennett attended the Widnes Secondary School. He went on to study at Liverpool University and trained to become a teacher. His father Mr. Alfred Bennett lived at Mount Pleasant, Peel House lane, Widnes, and was a former manager of the Pilkington Works, United Alkali Co. Corporal Bennett enlisted in the Royal Garrison Artillery (303 siege battery) on the 23rd May, 1916. He took part in Messines Ridge from June 7th, 1917; Ypres and Passchendaele from July to September; Cambrai in November 1917; and the retreat to Amiens which began on 21st March, 1918. After hostilities ended he joined the Army of Occupation and was stationed at Bonn. He was demobilised on the 29th January, 1919 and was acting headmaster at Rivington Road Council school, St. Helens in June 1919.
  8. I don't remember which book it was from, but I've been advised that the picture wasn't actually at Rivington Road school - rather it was up at another school on Knowsley Road.
  9. @non sibi sed omnibus . Please don't post your 'foto' requests in this forum. I know it might seem logical to post them here, but first posts from topics in this forum automatically go out on the RSS feed and they're picked up by the Facebook page and they eventually end up on twitter. They'll also go into forum subscriber's emails. So it helps if the post has some actual photographic content for people to see, rather than what appears to be some kind of insane request for Rob to get his balls out. I've deleted it from there now, but this is what greeted the viewers.
  10. Come on Robbob.Get your balls out PING PONG ONES,!!Its somewhere in st.marys market where you can play for FREE.Hope our moaners about the high cost on the ten pin will use this . Ive already seen the same in lpool st johns some time ago.I believe thats gone?
  11. Hi Allison, it was on the Schools Section under Local History at the top of the Page under "Website". Dave who runs St. Helens Connect might know.
  12. kizzy

DNA testing

Not surprised at all - this story might cause one or two to consider a test https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/may/21/dna-test-proves-former-care-worker-entitled-50m-country-estate-cornwall
  13. RATTY

DNA testing

Did you know they now do DNA for dogs. One woman just got a reduction in her pet insurance because they found her dog was a cross, not a pedigree,
  14. Hi Alison, what is Williams Service number and unit please? I presume that he is either an MM or a DCM?
  15. Thanks Phyll, huge help. Any chance you can tell me which book that image is taken out of? I seem to remember seeing it now but can't remember exactly where! Thanks, Allison.
  16. Dave

DNA testing

I can't think which is more euphemistic "non-paternity event" or "not parent expected". I suppose that the first one would make more sense because it's a problem mostly pertaining to paternity. Anyroadup, it happened a lot.
  17. I've watched that opening break by Egan Grace a dozen times
  18. Big_Jeff_Leo

Catalan v Wigan

Apparently Wigan where really pumped up for the game...…………………….imagine what would have happed if they weren't!
  19. A lot of strategic placing for ticket sales and strategic camera angles and placing.
  20. joe90

Catalan v Wigan

It holds 99,500
  21. Alan

Catalan v Wigan

I thought it was a really entertaining game. If there really were over 30,000 there, that Neu Camp Stadium must hold at least 250,000 as it looked empty on TV
  22. joe90

Catalan v Wigan

I watched the game yesterday and Wigan where out classed in every position,i thought after playing well against Warrington the week before that they had a good chance of winning this one but Catalan where to good for them,they will have to get shut of some of them that played yesterday and bring in some more players for next season to do anything in the league.
  23. Yes! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VImjLwkdhT0
  24. As a man of immense "useful"? knowledge and can answer even the most difficult crossword with ease? I was just answering one clue that resulted in the word STROP. I know there is some slang with this word.Can anyone remember those leather straps in barbers shops.They used to sharpen cutthroat razors on them.HOW and why use that material.. Do these "turkish" style barbers or similar still use these STROPS?
  1. Load more activity