Streets & Places Comments - St Helens Connect

Showing Streets & Places Comments

LesleyShaw
Mon, 17 Apr 2017, 22:01.
looking for pics/info on Heatons Butchers in Peter Street in the 1940/50s- also pics/info on Litherlands Butchers - not sure if in Peter Street or not.  Both butchers were married to Topping girls

Link to Street/Place
Patron
Mon, 2 Jan 2017, 15:34.
I lived at number 76 from 1935 until 1946 Great childhood memories when mothers could let their children roam free .
Link to Street/Place
hiss
Sun, 30 Oct 2016, 15:11.
I WAS BORN AT 69 VICTORIA ST. GERARDS BRIDGE IN 1946,I LIVED THERE UNTIL THE STREET WAS DEMOLISHED IN 1965.Link to Street/Place
Chris Green
Mon, 8 Aug 2016, 10:06.
Can anyone confirm if there used to be an alleyway behind the houses between Oppenheim Avenue and Forshaw Avenue etc? We are hearing conflicting stories from various people who grew up in the area. Some say there was, others say there wasn't. Link to Street/Place
AmandaJayne
Mon, 29 Feb 2016, 17:23.
confused now, thought Ravenhead Hall/House was the same place. in a link i found it is referred to as both & says it passed through the hands of several Ravenhead glass industrialists before it ended up as offices for Pilkingtons. my great great grandparents met while living there. http://www.suttonbeauty.org.uk/suttonhistory/sutton_halls_houses/#ravenheadLink to Street/Place
Wed, 23 Dec 2015, 20:00.
@ vswift

Link to your note added.
Link to Street/Place
cath worsley
Mon, 7 Dec 2015, 23:28.
My mum was raised in this lane and so was all her mums family many of them Welsh lived there from around 1860 to 1960 I heard so many stories about this lane from mum Link to Street/Place
vswift
Mon, 7 Dec 2015, 4:26.
Just a point about the church street census index although I don't know how it could be made any better.The problem I think for anyone trying to trace ancestors is the two streets named Church Street .It's not clear which one people listed lived in.For example I don't think the Borrows loco family lived in the St Helens town centre or James Cross of white raven fame.I suspect it was Church street sutton renamed.Perhaps a note mentioning the possibility of a Sutton abode may help

mainly applies to the 41 and 51 Censuses
Link to Street/Place
vswift
Mon, 7 Dec 2015, 3:19.
Clarendon was in Gerard Street no1 in Slaters 1895Link to Street/Place
vswift
Fri, 13 Nov 2015, 23:31.
Ravenhead Hall wasn't in Ravenhead Rd it was at the top of what is now Elm Rd and was then Hall Lane The hall disappeared into a clay hole for the local industry Ravenhead house is the building near Ravenhead Rd inside what was Pilkingtons Ravenhead Works and near Factory Row.The hall was a long way from Ravenhead RdLink to Street/Place
RATTY
Fri, 30 Oct 2015, 14:00.
My GGG Grandmother died 6 days after childbirth in this street in 1859.Link to Street/Place
Thu, 15 Oct 2015, 15:52.
@ vswift

Good find.
Link to Street/Place
vswift
Thu, 15 Oct 2015, 2:58.
SLATERS has results for Elm Rd under its former name HALL LANELink to Street/Place
vswift
Tue, 13 Oct 2015, 2:34.
Was known as Ravenhead Hall accessed by Hall Lane now Elm Rd not to be confused with the other Ravenhead House part of Pilkingtons Ravenhead works later FibreglassLink to Street/Place
Catherine Jiear
Sun, 8 Mar 2015, 0:30.
Does anyone know the history of the estate which used to adjoin the British Legion pleaseLink to Street/Place

[1] 2 3 4 > >>