Schools Comments - St Helens Connect

Showing Schools Comments

Callander
Thu, 22 Jun 2017, 16:02.
I attended Cowley GS from September 1952 until 1958. Just read an old obituary of Stan Rodden who was my form master in 1954. He had served in the RAF during WW2 and regaled us with his exploits. A chap called Lewis (Lefty) Lees was my first form master in 1952- our form included the following people- Dave Atherton,Ken Farrar, Roger Edmundson, Colin Bellis, Johnny Clare ( also at Windlehurst), Ged Connolly who I am still in touch with,Raph Charnock, Ronnie Earps, John and Arthur Ashcroft ( fellow train enthusiasts), Arthur Ashton, Dave Ashall. Not a bad memory for someone approaching 77! Bill Brady- real name Richard P. Brady taught us geography and everyone listened intently as he had a fearsome temper, as a fellow student called Ally Gledhill can confirm.Link to School
Callander
Thu, 22 Jun 2017, 15:46.
I started at Windlehurst in the immediate post war year and remember most of the teachers fondly, apart from that dragon of a headmistress Annie Clarke, who once belted me round the chops for throwing a snowball. Still in touch with a number of classmates- Vince Travis, Roger Clarke and the late Stan Crosby who  passed away very recently.The following teachers taught me- Miss Phillips, Mrs Challinor, Mrs Pearce, Mr Metcalfe (my favourite) and Mrs Audrey Gertrude Swift. Many happy memories apart from Miss Clarke and the smell of boiling cabbage coming from the canteen.Link to School
middleageman
Sat, 6 May 2017, 12:46.
Miss Goulding got married and became mrs stirrup I was in her class second year i loved that school I have fond memories of it
Br1an
Mon, 17 Apr 2017, 19:33.
Also remember being at Crown Street. When we walked down for dinner there would be shouts, and counter shouts, ot "Cat Licks" and "Proddy Dogs" between us and St Matthews. Wouldn't be allowed now.
Then at St Austins it was "New School, paddling pool" versus "Crown Street, Smelly Feet".
What an education we all gotted.
Though come to think of it we were using metric at Crown Street and StAustins, then When I moved over to Bleak hill Juniors a couple of years later they were in feet an inches and no metric.
Bleak Hill dead read proper England tho, not like the ITA (or whatever), phonetic reading that confused me to bits when trying to read real words.

hiss
Wed, 29 Mar 2017, 15:07.
the only teacher i remember was mrs hartley. i remember a girl named beryl reid breaking a window by slamming a door when going home.
fredmac
Wed, 11 Jan 2017, 14:58.
@ yicker124

Update on this post: I'm Fred McCabe:Now 73, still meeting with old boys from St Helens and Wigan about once a month. (I was yicker124 but email address I used at time no longer accessible so can't get old password)
john mcnelly
Sat, 17 Dec 2016, 15:56.
I attended ParrMount schools from 1955 to 1961 juniors then 1961 to 1965 seniors, anyone remember me, if so get in touch.Link to School
jwood60
Sun, 16 Oct 2016, 19:34.
@ Joseph Julius

Hi I am sorry to say,but you must have your dates mixed up,because this school closed down in 1967,because I was there for 3 years,and then when it closed I went to Rivington Rd Comprehensive School after it closed,because my foster father was the caretaker there,and I was forced to help him clean the school,both after school,and during school holidays,if I refused to do it,he would send me to Scidmore for the cane,I think I got caned the most at that school out of anyone,even if I spoke to other girls they didn\'t like,they would send me to him for the cane,so I was really happy when it closed down,I have been back there and it is now a housing estate,along with a retirement home on there as well,we were lucky enough to have Johnny Mantle,as one of our teachers,as he used to play for St Helens rugby club,I don\'t know if you remember him or not,anyway just though I would drop you a line take care Joane Wood
jwood60
Thu, 13 Oct 2016, 22:04.
@ nannypam

Hi I don\'t know if you will remember me,I went to this school from 1965 to 1968 when the school closed down,my foster father Mr William Brackley was the caretaker there,he was always reporting me to the headmaster for one thing or another,and I was always being caned,I remember Mr Swift very well,he once wrote someone\'s name on a piece of paper and sealed in an envelope,he said this person will come to me for a reference when they leave school,and I will then show them this name I have written down,however,when the school closed down,we never did find out whose name he had written down,I was always bullied at school,and was once thrown over the wall,that separated the playground,from the girls and boys,and scraped all the insides of my thighs,I was also once picked up by a few girls outside of the school gates,and had my head slammed into the pavement,I have since found out,that a lot of my bullying was caused by my sister Margaret (Maggie),who used to bribe other girls to bully me,I did make a couple of friends at school,and remember that one of the girls,lived right opposite the school and her father was a vicar,I think,I loved playing netball though,and used to love playing sports,I remember that we used to run around the school,right around the outside of the building,I am trying to find people from my school days to re connect,I also remember that we had a teacher called Johnny Mantle,and he actually played for St Helens as well,he taught us science in the old iron building out back,the one with the corrugated roof,all you could here during lessons when it was raining,was the bang bang on the roof from the rain,it made it quite difficult to study when it was like that,anyway if you remember me or my sisters I would love to here from you,my other sister was called Eva
Jwood60
Wed, 5 Oct 2016, 23:39.
I attended Knowsley from 1959 to 1965 not that I can remember any of my teachers,apart from one elderly lady when I first started there,she was ever so kind,I was in a class with a young girl that wore a calaper ,I think she had had polio as a child,I think she lived at the top of oxford street,problem is ,I was brought up with foster parents,and I have absolutely NO photo's of me growing up,as they kept all the photos when I moved away from them,so would love to find out anyone who remembers me,or might have school group photos,I was known then as Joane Wood/Brackley and had 2 sisters Eva and Margaret ( Maggie),so I am trying to find old school friends and anyone who remember me at all from school,please get in touch thanks,we were also in the Brownies and girl guides and used to put on a play every year at the theater Royal in town,as well as Xmas pantos every yearLink to School
Jwood60
Wed, 5 Oct 2016, 23:25.
I attended Rivington from 1967to 69 after St Mary's closed down in 1967 on Keswick St,I cant remember any of my teachers,I know I excelled at sports and cooking and maths,I am trying to find people who remember me from my school days,I was known as Joane Wood/Brackley ,as I lived with foster parents Ethel and William Brackley,we lived on Moss Bank rd 189 ,I left school early as I moved away from my foster parents,but I have absolutely no school photos,or any photos from when I was younger,so if anyone remembers me,please get in touch,I also used to play netball for the school and swim as wellLink to School
Davsvet
Mon, 22 Aug 2016, 16:11.
Ernie Milea was the Headmaster at Holy Cross School ( Parade St ),when I was there, also Mr Leather was the woodwork Teacher at Holy Cross School,the woodwork class was across the road from the Theatre Royal.
I left Holy Cross School in 1963 that was a great year. I never had the cane from Ernie Milea but Mr Woods.
Liz118
Tue, 5 Jul 2016, 21:52.
I attended this school 1968 mr simcox was the headmaster and mrs Simcox worked at the school too. My best childhood memories loved this school. Remember Mrs Bates and Mr salter. Dinner lady i remember was Mrs Taylor. Link to School
Dicky D
Mon, 30 May 2016, 20:26.
@ PHILSAINT

The canteen was a prefab situated at the top of the yard on the right just past the woodwork room.
Dicky D
Mon, 30 May 2016, 20:24.
@ Dave

Amber and blue were the colours when I attended in 1957-61, although uniforms were not compulsory and I never worn it. Amber and blue was also the rugby kit colours. The senior girls worn brown.
The pocket badge was a spread eagle and was designed by the late Ken Tranter art master.

[1] 2 3 4 > >>