Pubs Comments - St Helens Connect

Showing Pubs Comments

Brianza
Mon, 20 Mar 2017, 15:49.
Before going to the Friday Co-op dance in 1960, four of us sixteen year olds tried to buy our first alcoholic drink in The Sephton.
In the bar, after a long discussion, we decided we liked sherry because that is what our parents had in the house over Christmas and we had tasted it.
Having seen John Wayne ordering whisky with glasses we asked for a bottle of Bristol Cream and four glasses. The barman held his arm up, pointed to the door and said OUT. Memories!!!
Link to Pub
Zeta
Sun, 12 Mar 2017, 19:08.
Was this pub across from Eccleston hall collieryLink to Pub
Brianza
Fri, 24 Feb 2017, 9:42.
In the late 60s I used to go every Friday night to listen to the singers and a pianist who could play every tune in the world in whatever key the volunteer was singing, "you hum it. I'll play it". Brilliant days with John Derbyshire controlling events by shouting "one singer one song" when people joined in the singing.
I had my stag party there in 1970 (well before travelling to Prague was the fashion) and had a great time - so I was told.
Link to Pub
tessmop
Fri, 25 Nov 2016, 13:28.
This is no longer a Pub,it is now F.W. Marsh funeral services.Link to Pub
halj
Fri, 10 Jun 2016, 14:56.
Still there and just been re-vamped, well worth a visitLink to Pub
Tue, 6 Oct 2015, 23:16.
@ billinge lump

Do you know if it is closed for good (unlikely) or just between tenants/management?
Link to Pub
billinge lump
Tue, 6 Oct 2015, 10:32.
Now closedLink to Pub
joe90
Mon, 28 Sep 2015, 7:14.
Reg was ClitheroeLink to Pub
halj
Thu, 30 Apr 2015, 8:04.
1841 Census - James Hodson(30), Publican, his wife Mary(29) and son James(3 months).Link to Pub
Harry
Thu, 26 Feb 2015, 16:43.
I never heard it called that.
It used to have a date over the front, corner entrance...1902, I think. Is it still there? My long deceased uncle told me years ago that it was the same year as he was born.
Link to Pub
Stoka
Tue, 24 Feb 2015, 12:47.
When did this close?Link to Pub
jacquie36
Tue, 3 Feb 2015, 22:03.
its still open as the victoria on one side and the little pig on the other side (signage) Link to Pub
pbain58
Wed, 21 Jan 2015, 15:18.
Hi Folks. Big E was never landlard of the Prince. His brother Jack Frodsham was landlord for years with his wife, Pat, as landlady. Jack owned the two Great Danes (Bass and Scooby Doo) and moved from the Prince to the Brown Edge.
The last landlord, however, was Alan Roberts. Like Jack he was an ex-policeman. Big E did indeed play for Pilks Recs
Link to Pub
dorothy
Sat, 17 Jan 2015, 19:56.
Building still exists - now Eccleston Hill Post OfficeLink to Pub
Anne Leyland
Sat, 27 Dec 2014, 12:24.
My husban'd great, great grandfather John Leyland was landlord of this pub 1870-1872 when he died.
His widow Elizabeth (Betsy) was still the landlady on the 1881 Census, but moved before 1891.
Link to Pub