Pits Comments - St Helens Connect

Showing Pits Comments

Zeta
Sun, 2 Apr 2017, 17:48.
Yes I meant this picture, I would like to know what the gathering was for.Link to Pit
paulbuzz
Sat, 29 Oct 2016, 7:22.
Only remember playing on the duckry as a kid still got some stone from the lions head .was all this land landscaped ncb property ?Link to Pit
vswift
Thu, 12 May 2016, 1:58.
@ boblyn

Don\'t think it was open in the sixties it wasn\'t even open when i was a growing boy in the fifties used to play on the remains of the engine house
Link to Pit
Thu, 18 Feb 2016, 13:55.
History of Sherdley Colliery (1870s - 1944), by Stephen Wainwright on the Sutton Beauty website.

I think that my G Grandfather John Henry Bennett was a manager at that pit in its time.
Link to Pit
Kath Threlfall
Tue, 28 Jul 2015, 18:42.
My great-grandfather's uncle George Britch was killed in an accident at Wood Pit in 1878 I think. He had something to do with the locomotives there and slipped and fell underneath the wheels of one of them.Link to Pit
june howard
Thu, 29 Jan 2015, 10:40.
My grandfather, Henry McCann, born 1884, lived in Thatto Heath worked at Lea Green. I believe he was a shot firer, perhaps he had relevant information about such things as he was in the First World War. June HowardLink to Pit
boblyn
Wed, 5 Feb 2014, 0:06.
I remember I was young my mum used to go to a hairdressers in Crossley Road which was at the bottom of the entry that led up to the Alexandra pit and remember some miners coming down the passageway after their shift black as the ace of spades on their way home for a bath. Don't know when it closed but it must have been the early 1960's.Link to Pit
boblyn
Tue, 4 Feb 2014, 21:30.
When I was working as a fitter at Bold colliery I was attatched for a period with the fitter that was involved with the winding gear, shafts and shaft pumping gear. One of the jobs he had was to go to Collins Green and descend the shaft there to check out the pumps at the bottom of the shaft. It was only about 100 or so feet deep but had to have a minature set up of the winding gear seen at Bold Colliery. I had the chance to go down there a few times and found it quite interesting, pity it's not there any longer.Link to Pit
exnooker
Tue, 10 Dec 2013, 15:25.
Where was the Colliery in Pocket Nook.Link to Pit
jockey
Mon, 9 Dec 2013, 20:47.
i have the original blueprint for the lea green pit showing all shafts etc..if any body needs any info please contact me.Link to Pit
erichilton
Sat, 31 Aug 2013, 20:48.
My grandmother was killed at Ashton's Green Colliery in 1920. My mother and uncle became orphaned as a result of this terrible accident.Link to Pit
Yvonne Tunstall
Tue, 4 Jun 2013, 22:46.
Dave it dosnt relate to southport pit, but my uncle worked at parkside colliery 66 to 73 he was going on shift and as lift started to go down gurder came loose and hit him on the head killed outright aged 29 dont know much more than that i was 13 at the time it was my mums brother. If u have any info on this would love to know more about it as all mums side have now passed away. much appreciated thanks.Link to Pit
Yvonne Tunstall
Tue, 4 Jun 2013, 22:36.
BillyG My Uncle worked at Parkside in 66 to 73. He was killed there going into the lift shaft to go underground for his shift, The lift went down full so he waited for if to comeback up, hence a gurder came loose from the roof of the lift and killed him out right. aged 29!Link to Pit
pip