Streets & Places Comments - St Helens Connect

Showing Streets & Places Comments

vonnie 1
Fri, 29 Apr 2011, 20:33.
I lived at no 47 Westfield st.My grandparents /parents owned Fishwick`s fireplace shop,which was on the corner of Water st &; Westfield st. across from Beechams, which was on the corner of Water st and Westfield st also. I lived there until Dec 1956 the shop had to be demolished to make the road wider for the college which was being built.In the 1891 census and trade directory no 47 was listed as The Peel Arms with David Moore as the head of the household.Link to Street/Place
philip hewitt
Tue, 26 Apr 2011, 21:50.
I Lived at 20 from 1956 to 1983.

family moved in about 1924
Link to Street/Place
the olden days
Mon, 11 Apr 2011, 13:59.
Does anyone remember Edward Gregson (Teddy) 1920 to 1942 being the licensee of the Phoenix InnLink to Street/Place
Wed, 30 Mar 2011, 15:20.
Brought up there in the fifties, lived in the section between the co-op on the corner of Hope st and Robys the butchers on the corner of Wilson St.
Link to Street/Place
john b
Thu, 24 Mar 2011, 23:48.
I lived in brynn street from 1967 to 1971,Happy days.Link to Street/Place
Wed, 9 Mar 2011, 23:08.
I think at one time the full length was called Eccleston Lane - all the way to the junction with Boundary Road.
Knowsley Road only appears in later census years.
Link to Street/Place
Sun, 27 Feb 2011, 0:34.
Looks like it Starts off as Eccleston Lane behind the Saints Ground until Dunriding Lane, then becomes Knowsley Road until Cowley Hill Lane, then it becomes Eccleston Street until Westfield Street.Link to Street/Place
Sat, 1 Jan 2011, 15:56.
Thanks mummfyoo, that has been fixed now.Link to Street/Place
Tue, 12 Oct 2010, 13:14.
First, thanks for this site, very helpful and useful.

Can anyone tell me more about Parr Flat please? For example, on 1861 census, there appear to be lots of families all living at the same address? Were there some sort of tenements here then? Thanks
Link to Street/Place
Mon, 11 Oct 2010, 15:12.
The Nags Head on the 1881 is listed as Parr St, not Church St. Link to Street/Place
Sat, 9 Oct 2010, 18:32.
Charles Riley was my greatgrandfather. He came from Co Leitrim and worked as a chemical labourer. He married my greatgrandmother, Rose Ann Donohoe, who came from Co Longford, in St Helens in 1889.
I was born in FollDoll Row in 1945 and lived there until it was demolished in 1960 and we were rehoused in Redgate Drive.
Link to Street/Place