Schools Comments - St Helens Connect

Showing Schools Comments

Kirkstonelad
Thu, 13 Nov 2014, 17:42.
Really enjoyed my time at GPTS. Remember the sports pavilion being built. Steve Llewelyn was my first form teacher. He was usually wearing shorts. I was really upset when I saw him being presented to the crowd at Knowsley Rd, he was quite ill at the time. Other teachers I recall are Crawshaw, Jack Mather, Neil Fowles, 'Rock' Hudson, Sid Watts, Alf Roughsedge, Sam Hall, Thompson, and Sherlock. We persuaded Thompson to let us take an old car to pieces to see how an engine worked. He wouldn't allow it into the building so we took it around the back of the tech block. It ended up being our smoking den (never found out about engines, but we had lots of fun messing around)Link to School
Thorry10
Sat, 27 Sep 2014, 18:36.
My dad attended this school and I have often wondered where it was located and if there wrre any pictures of it.He was born in 1928 so would have attended from around 1932/33.He gained s scholarship to attend Cowley.Link to School
jimmy_A
Fri, 26 Sep 2014, 0:50.
When I started in 74 they had the annex up at Fingerpost and then I moved to the main school in 75. I was pretty much always bullied and bunked off most of the time. Mr. Parkinson was head and stumpy was deputy, so named because of his wooden leg. Mr. McGrath took music and he was brilliant, I actually went back there in the mid 90's and saw him and thanked him for making me work so hard at music. I was singing with a choir at the time. Even though I hated most of my time there I was sad to see it go. Penno, Hoppy, Tayler, Scouser, Lawty to name just a few of my mates who bunked off with me. We used to hide in Ashtons Green library until the school found out and we got banned during school time, so we went to the old Sutton Library. Link to School
exnooker
Sat, 13 Sep 2014, 22:42.
When I whent to Blackbrook St Marys in 1954 it was nothing but gas lit coke fumed hell hole the teachers where nothing but bullies who used to cane you at the drop of a hat.
I came from Holy Cross Juniors at the time that was a modern school can you imagine what it was like when I turned up at the Dickensian Dive called Blackbrook. Exnooker.
Mafo
Sun, 7 Sep 2014, 14:38.
I enjoyed my time at Central Modern, I must have done because I went on to teach in a secondary school.Link to School
Lilysslave
Sat, 6 Sep 2014, 15:06.
I attended this school 1969 -1976. My mum, Mrs Wassell, was a teacher, then deputy head, for many years. I was in her class one year. I hated it. Mr Lake was the head at the time. A lovely man. He retired to the Lake District with his wife.Link to School
Aquaphibian
Mon, 18 Aug 2014, 14:22.
Attended from 1954 to 1961. Mixed emotions really - large class and lively classmates. My teachers were Miss Seddon, Miss Williams (2 years in infants), Miss Parr, Fanny Glover, Miss Balmer and Gus White. Loved the 90 minutes lunch when you could roam in an adventurous manner along the 'rally'. Recalled being caned by Fanny Glover virtually everyday including once across the face. Gus White also had a handy weapon which I hid behind a green display board one day - never to be seen again. Gave me an excellent grounding in Maths which I later put to good use. Blakey used to withdraw us for scholarship class. A real mixed bag!Link to School
DHR
Fri, 1 Aug 2014, 14:06.
Mr Dennett was my favourite teacher. I used to like the stickers he put in your work book for marks awarded, e.g. silver star, gold star and, best of all, the shield when you got all questions correct. I was there from 1957 to 1961.Link to School
Steveshukky
Sun, 27 Jul 2014, 19:33.
I went to St. John vianney, Mr Murphy was the head teacher, I was in class with Glyn Roberts, Cathrine Callaghan. Julie Leonard, kev Cotham Paddy Consadine, are any of you members, if so please get in touch.Link to School
hodgson53
Wed, 16 Jul 2014, 19:52.
I went to this school 1958 to 1964, I remember Sister Paul and sister tomasina would love to interact with any of my old class mates, I also remember being in the old school eating my dinner in the classroom because the dinning hall was condemed also part of the ceiling falling an my desk Link to School
Jaydee
Fri, 13 Jun 2014, 14:43.
I remember Stan Russell when he taught at Sacred Heart school, I always thought he was Firm but Fair.Link to School
Jaydee
Fri, 13 Jun 2014, 14:26.
I attended St Patricks when Sister Marcella was head, Miss Jordan was my last teacher there.
Does anyone know where Sister Marcella was buried, I'd like to visit her final resting place she was very good to my family.
Alan P
Wed, 9 Apr 2014, 14:08.
When I was 3 years of age in 1947 my mother took me to St Theresa's and gave my hand to a 6 foot penguin named Sister Vincent and her mate Sister Agnes., I was terrified . Many years later I realised that they must have been ex Gestapo officers in drag , I do not believe heaven and hell but if there is an hell I hope they are in it, together with the beast of Leech lane and St Cuthbert's ,the infamous Mr Wilson {aka } evil bastard . Link to School
grazdraz
Fri, 4 Apr 2014, 18:10.
i also felt the sting of old sister mary ethna,s strap more than once for wagging church over the duckery,and for not saluting her when passing her in the corridor.She became a nun when she was kicked out of the Gestapo during the war for being too cruel.Link to School
carrmill
Thu, 13 Feb 2014, 12:06.
I attended 1938 to 1944 about that time Then we had to leave to go to Rivington rd school we were all heart broken But that was when it became a junior schoolLink to School

<< < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 > >>