Streets & Places Comments - St Helens Connect

Showing Streets & Places Comments

Sharonlowe
Sun, 15 Apr 2012, 18:11.
I lived in Barton street as a child outdoor loo and all, tin bath in front of fire and great sense of community, remember the bonfires on the brooky behind the street and also Jonny and his horse drawn milk float and a few streets away the ice cream place, coop at the end of our street with the dairy behind it.Link to Street/Place
jackiewoods6
Thu, 1 Mar 2012, 23:46.
My Great Great Great Grandfather was Peter Greenough of the White Lion pub, church st/chapel lane.Son in law Peter Roberts born 1855/56 any infoLink to Street/Place
kitty_19
Fri, 17 Feb 2012, 20:42.
My mother Monica Duffy lived on this street from 1943 to 1964.Link to Street/Place
wellingtonboot
Wed, 1 Feb 2012, 11:56.
A curious little side street with massive, Georgian/early Victorian houses on one side and two-up two-down terraces on the other. Why the curious mix of architecture and does anyone have any insight as to the history of this road?Link to Street/Place
Harry
Sun, 11 Dec 2011, 16:42.
I grew up in Elephant Lane from 1946 to 1959. Directly opposite was the 'Mush'. Behind our house and looming over Moses' market garden, was 'The Cob'. An ancient coal tip, I presume, but does anyone know anything about its history?Link to Street/Place
SKYMAN
Tue, 29 Nov 2011, 19:37.
I WAS BORN 1931,from 1936 /1945 lived at no,16 Reservoir Street, would like to hear from any contacts from that period,Link to Street/Place
philip hewitt
Thu, 24 Nov 2011, 16:40.
are there any photos of Lawrenson street in the archive??Link to Street/Place
Olliebeak
Wed, 13 Jul 2011, 16:35.
Does anybody know what year the original Langtree Street became Jackson Street and what year the NEW Langtree Street was built?Link to Street/Place
Le200
Sun, 29 May 2011, 22:27.
Originally named Victoria Street South.Link to Street/Place
philsutton
Thu, 26 May 2011, 14:41.
no 2 was naylers shop on the corner of waterloo st and rigby st we lived next door at no 4 opposite at no 1 the blacksmiths shop, that was the last building to be demolished for the collage to be built. most houses were red stock brick,they were pilkington houses to accomodate their part-time firemen(being close to grove st fire station)it was was my grand parents rented house, william glover glass cutter and when not on his shift was on call for the fire dept.uniform and all equipment was kept under the stairs and had to be put on before legging it down to station the station,it was the big red fire bell under the stairs started the panic.from there,age 8 and 1953 with my parents moved into a brand new council house,it is good to remember the early childhood,always plenty going on in rigby stLink to Street/Place
Le200
Thu, 26 May 2011, 10:40.
Originally named Derby Street.Link to Street/Place
Le200
Thu, 26 May 2011, 10:37.
Heath Street was originally know as Pigmans Row.Link to Street/Place
vonnie 1
Sun, 15 May 2011, 19:13.
My Great aunt lived in Silkstone St and I remember her husband Chris Flynn had a horse and cart and went round the streets collecting Rags he was an Irish Rag and Bone man .Link to Street/Place
vonnie 1
Sun, 15 May 2011, 19:05.
My grandmother Polly Crompton lived at no 248,which was a shop in the trade directory! I always wondered why her front room window was so big.Now I know,she passed away in her home in 1969 aged 79yrs.My auntie Nell and Uncle Bob lived 5 doors away at no 238 and both worked at Pilkingtons glass Ravenhead.
Link to Street/Place
vonnie 1
Fri, 29 Apr 2011, 20:33.
I lived at no 47 Westfield st.My grandparents /parents owned Fishwick`s fireplace shop,which was on the corner of Water st &; Westfield st. across from Beechams, which was on the corner of Water st and Westfield st also. I lived there until Dec 1956 the shop had to be demolished to make the road wider for the college which was being built.In the 1891 census and trade directory no 47 was listed as The Peel Arms with David Moore as the head of the household.Link to Street/Place

<< < 1 2 [3] 4 > >>