Schools Comments - St Helens Connect

Showing Schools Comments

billinge lump
Tue, 6 Oct 2015, 10:14.
Dump full of bullies, that was all the teachers. Glad when I left glad when it closed. Link to School
billinge lump
Tue, 6 Oct 2015, 10:04.
Hated this school from day, must have been given the ruler every single day.Link to School
Tue, 6 Oct 2015, 0:19.
Which age group were at this school (infants, juniors, seniors)?Link to School
Mossbanker1937
Thu, 14 May 2015, 15:57.
I must have joined Mossbank school in about 1940. I remember I had to carry my gas mask from my home on Hillbrae Avenue up the hill to the school. We had dinners served in a wooden hut at the bottom of Club Street. The food was always cold as it was shipped in from, I think, Windlehurst school kitchens. The quality was not to great but as food was rationed not much was left over. The head master was a Mr Firth, another teacher was a Mr Marklouse (spelt incorrectly I am sure). Tilly's shop was across the road were you could get a stick of liqueris or a gobstopper for a penny. Mrs Tilly also supplied Dandelion and Burdock drinks at cheap cheap prices. Six of the best was handed out regularly. I remember a David Barker managing to get hold of a bundle of whipping canes from the store cupboard and stuffed the lot unto the wood burning stove. No more thrashings for a while but when more canes arrive David Barker got 6 of the best. I stayed at Mossbank school until I was 11 or 12 years old. then I went on to Rainford Secondary Modern.
chris m
Sun, 26 Apr 2015, 20:07.
Hi my names Chris moore,and I went to robs lane from 64 till 76.i remember some of the teachers like lenny Lowe and Mr Greenhill,and the headmaster was Mr.knight.my first teacher when I started was Mrs.dickinson and class mates in 64 were Ian walker,ray ranson,Barry Foy,Debra garnett,Julie foster,Gary macdonald and Phil withingtonLink to School
yicker124
Sun, 19 Apr 2015, 17:10.
Attended for 4 years from 1955; didn't enjoy it much. This last year or so been having reunion drinks with past pupils some from Wigan, some from Haydock, Sutton and town. We're all 70/71 now. My name is Fred McCabe.(St Annes, Sutton) I'm in the phone book.
Dandydotty
Sun, 19 Apr 2015, 14:44.
Attended 1955/1959 and well remember standing on the heating pipes in school classroom to view the boys at playtime. Watching the boys come in to practice dancing for their last year school dance,longing for when the day when I was old enough to dance with the boys THEN the year and day came:- we had to stand in a line and face the boy and they would walk over and choose a girl. No one chose me!!!!!! My mother made me a yellow velvet dress for the dance and I asked my twin brother to tell his friend to dance with me. Sometimes the girls would meet in the park at boundary road and play football with the boys on a Saturday afternoon. We would walk to boundary road baths for swimming lessons(which I hated). A memory I have is of a very tall girl in the year above me I long to be like her. The French teacher was a very kind lady and she would bring me magazines with bridgett Bardot in because she new I liked her. All the teachers deserve medals as they instilled respect, responsibility and life skills. Wish I could meet them again to tell them so face to face.Link to School
Dandydotty
Sun, 19 Apr 2015, 14:10.
I had a very good grounding at this school and fond memories of the maypole dance, snowball fights at lunch time with Micky Myers also joining in. The school assembly with miss Bradbury playing the piano (Jesu joy of all mankind) every time I hear that tune it takes me back. We had some sort of concert one year where I think queen bordicia was the main character. Learning how to budget with mr liversley put me in good stance for future life (I think he married one of the other teachers). I still have my autograph book with signatures in bringing it with me when I emigrated to melbourne Australia. And the Chinese/malayian student teachers who encouraged us to have penpals (I'm still in touch with mine).Link to School
ChattyCathy
Wed, 8 Apr 2015, 6:48.
Thanks for the memories. I remember my first day in Form 4, Juniors. I'd been told by my uncle and brother to sit at the 'family desk' with a big ink bottle stain, and all would be well. Mr White looked down at me at roll call and said, ";So, you're Gore's kid";. Not sure if I spoke much after that, he terrified me! Infants was just as scary but I had a lovely little friend called Gillian Caldwell there.Link to School
j c
Sun, 1 Mar 2015, 21:26.
Has anyone any pictures of York St pleaseLink to School
annie1
Fri, 23 Jan 2015, 22:40.
Had two great holidays in the isle of man with this school. Remember Mrs. Prince as my first teacher and having a nap in the afternoonLink to School
annie1
Fri, 23 Jan 2015, 22:15.
I attended from 73-76. Remember Miss Jackson, Miss Wood and Mrs Cowley. Mrs Cowley took me for maths and was my dads cousin. Always told me not as good as your father. Could get answers to algebra but not the working out.Link to School
mickj
Thu, 15 Jan 2015, 23:57.
Higher Grade i was in the infamous 3B Hamblett houseLink to School
Ray
Mon, 8 Dec 2014, 14:27.
I was a pupil at Sutton Manor Council School in the late thirties, prior to that there was a infants school in Jubits Lane ( now Swindells roofing firm), nick name the Tin School "" We started there age three. Later we transferred to the council SchoolLink to School
Ray
Sat, 29 Nov 2014, 16:32.
Attended 1941-1944. headmaster was Billy Ingham very harsh with the cane, also other teachers were: Rick Valkman who taught maths and music, Fanny Haigh- History, Miss Newman, Humpy Thomson-Maths, Mr Finch, he took us for swimming lessons. Miss Price-took us for French. Mr Hill taught Chemistry, very strict. We went to the old Minning School for woodwork, also, to the Gamble Institute for Chemistry lessons. Another teacher was Daddy Edwards always dressed in cap & gown, he carried a cane which he smashed against his gown with a frightful noise. He taught geography, good teacher, didn't often use his cane

We used to play wall tennis on a marked out wall and floor unfortunately there was a drainpipe on the wall and sometimes the ball hit the pipe !!! good fun Visited the old playground last week what was left of it, almost covered by buildings, however, the markings of the wall tennis court where still there including the drain pipe.

<< < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 > >>