General Photos Comments - St Helens Connect

Showing General Photos Comments

Bobby D
Sun, 25 Oct 2015, 2:26.
I think Gilvrays Butchers was where the red General Store is in this picture.Link to Photo
Bobby D
Sun, 25 Oct 2015, 2:17.
I sailed over the Post Box on the left on Gilvrays Butchers bike in the 1950's, having been hit by the tray of a passing truck. Landed in the Post Office doorway. Gilvrays Butchers 30 to 40 yards down on the left. Worked for Eric Gilvray for 4 years as a delivery boy when I was at West Park.Link to Photo
Bobby D
Sun, 25 Oct 2015, 0:42.
Can any body tell me when this was built. I think this is where my parents met. Dad played Banjo in a band and Mam helped in the kitchen in round about 1930'sLink to Photo
Bobby D
Sun, 25 Oct 2015, 0:34.
The McCormi(a)ck family lived further up on the right.Link to Photo
kizzy
Mon, 19 Oct 2015, 0:48.
This building corner of Standish and Gleave St. used to be a bookies around 1970/71. I worked there for Richard Waring (of the local Waring family who owned the Cycle and TV repair business around St Helens,. Richard was a friend and I worked for him for a couple of years. When the business was sold it became a gun shop before it was then turned back into a private house.Link to Photo
kizzy
Sat, 17 Oct 2015, 0:06.
Yes, thats the one, it was quite a well used shop at the time when people came into the town centre by bus to do their grocery shopping, There was a wine cellar downstairs when I started ( it used to be Stringfellows, grocers and wine merchants) before Lennons.Link to Photo
Fri, 16 Oct 2015, 15:11.
I don't remember it being there. I couldn't place it proper until you said. So it's what became Samuels, then Caffe Nero?Link to Photo
kizzy
Thu, 15 Oct 2015, 21:30.
I worked here in 1962/3 when it looked like that..the corner doors faced Church St. and the electricity board showroom was next door in Bridge St. The store closed down in '63 when the staff moved to the new store further along Ormskirk St. into a new purpose built supermarket on land which the Scala picture house once stood.Link to Photo
kizzy
Tue, 13 Oct 2015, 21:36.
Wow! Haven't seen it since the 60s must go take a look next time I'm up there.Link to Photo
Tue, 13 Oct 2015, 11:09.
It's still there Kizzy, still used as offices at Knauf Insulation (fibreglass, etc.).Link to Photo
kizzy
Tue, 13 Oct 2015, 0:00.
Where was this? It looks very similar to a building which was just inside Pilks Ravenhead works (at the end of Crossley Rd. Stafford Rd. and Factory Row, where I had my first job in 1960. The building was on the left just inside the main lodge were we 'clocked on' before and after each days work.Link to Photo
Thumpa lumpa
Wed, 7 Oct 2015, 12:05.
I serviced these as an apprentice in the year of the photo,

I take it you mean the machines, vswift. ha ha.!!
Fri, 2 Oct 2015, 13:08.
This one has been bugging me for years. Does anyone recognise or know where it might be for sure?Link to Photo
dotcomdan
Wed, 26 Aug 2015, 0:54.
I am on the second row down on the left.Link to Photo
ted
Sun, 23 Aug 2015, 21:45.
The building behind the man, was made up of rented flats, I lived there with my brother, mum and dadLink to Photo

<< < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 > >>