All Comments - St Helens Connect

Showing All Comments

jwood60
Thu, 13 Oct 2016, 22:09.
@ Roger

when was this please,because my foster father William Brackley was the caretaker there when I went to school there from 1965 to 68 when the school closed down,I then went on to Rivington Road
jwood60
Thu, 13 Oct 2016, 22:04.
@ nannypam

Hi I don\'t know if you will remember me,I went to this school from 1965 to 1968 when the school closed down,my foster father Mr William Brackley was the caretaker there,he was always reporting me to the headmaster for one thing or another,and I was always being caned,I remember Mr Swift very well,he once wrote someone\'s name on a piece of paper and sealed in an envelope,he said this person will come to me for a reference when they leave school,and I will then show them this name I have written down,however,when the school closed down,we never did find out whose name he had written down,I was always bullied at school,and was once thrown over the wall,that separated the playground,from the girls and boys,and scraped all the insides of my thighs,I was also once picked up by a few girls outside of the school gates,and had my head slammed into the pavement,I have since found out,that a lot of my bullying was caused by my sister Margaret (Maggie),who used to bribe other girls to bully me,I did make a couple of friends at school,and remember that one of the girls,lived right opposite the school and her father was a vicar,I think,I loved playing netball though,and used to love playing sports,I remember that we used to run around the school,right around the outside of the building,I am trying to find people from my school days to re connect,I also remember that we had a teacher called Johnny Mantle,and he actually played for St Helens as well,he taught us science in the old iron building out back,the one with the corrugated roof,all you could here during lessons when it was raining,was the bang bang on the roof from the rain,it made it quite difficult to study when it was like that,anyway if you remember me or my sisters I would love to here from you,my other sister was called Eva
Jwood60
Wed, 5 Oct 2016, 23:39.
I attended Knowsley from 1959 to 1965 not that I can remember any of my teachers,apart from one elderly lady when I first started there,she was ever so kind,I was in a class with a young girl that wore a calaper ,I think she had had polio as a child,I think she lived at the top of oxford street,problem is ,I was brought up with foster parents,and I have absolutely NO photo's of me growing up,as they kept all the photos when I moved away from them,so would love to find out anyone who remembers me,or might have school group photos,I was known then as Joane Wood/Brackley and had 2 sisters Eva and Margaret ( Maggie),so I am trying to find old school friends and anyone who remember me at all from school,please get in touch thanks,we were also in the Brownies and girl guides and used to put on a play every year at the theater Royal in town,as well as Xmas pantos every yearLink to School
Jwood60
Wed, 5 Oct 2016, 23:25.
I attended Rivington from 1967to 69 after St Mary's closed down in 1967 on Keswick St,I cant remember any of my teachers,I know I excelled at sports and cooking and maths,I am trying to find people who remember me from my school days,I was known as Joane Wood/Brackley ,as I lived with foster parents Ethel and William Brackley,we lived on Moss Bank rd 189 ,I left school early as I moved away from my foster parents,but I have absolutely no school photos,or any photos from when I was younger,so if anyone remembers me,please get in touch,I also used to play netball for the school and swim as wellLink to School
lynne addie
Sat, 24 Sep 2016, 19:16.
I remember visiting Brither Hilarion back in the 1960s. He became a great friend to our family.Link to Church
Davsvet
Mon, 22 Aug 2016, 16:11.
Ernie Milea was the Headmaster at Holy Cross School ( Parade St ),when I was there, also Mr Leather was the woodwork Teacher at Holy Cross School,the woodwork class was across the road from the Theatre Royal.
I left Holy Cross School in 1963 that was a great year. I never had the cane from Ernie Milea but Mr Woods.
Chris Green
Mon, 8 Aug 2016, 10:06.
Can anyone confirm if there used to be an alleyway behind the houses between Oppenheim Avenue and Forshaw Avenue etc? We are hearing conflicting stories from various people who grew up in the area. Some say there was, others say there wasn't. Link to Street/Place
omeagin
Sun, 7 Aug 2016, 19:33.
@ marianglaslady

The old priest told me that they had had a burial ground near to where St Theresas is - off Knowsley Road - Old Eccleston I think he called it - grassed over now I believe.
Link to Church
Wenna
Wed, 13 Jul 2016, 22:17.
@ Joanie Mc

click on the link near to the top of the page, between the 3 little images and the larger image of the church.
Link to Church
Wenna
Wed, 13 Jul 2016, 22:15.
@ flowerpower123

Central library has a reference book which you can look at - cannot be taken away, it has details names, inscriptions and maps of where graves are. It was compiled by Margaret and Pauline of the Family History group.
Link to Church
Liz118
Tue, 5 Jul 2016, 21:52.
I attended this school 1968 mr simcox was the headmaster and mrs Simcox worked at the school too. My best childhood memories loved this school. Remember Mrs Bates and Mr salter. Dinner lady i remember was Mrs Taylor. Link to School
halj
Fri, 10 Jun 2016, 14:56.
Still there and just been re-vamped, well worth a visitLink to Pub
Dicky D
Mon, 30 May 2016, 20:27.
The teacher centre front row is 'Pop Philips'.Link to Photo
Dicky D
Mon, 30 May 2016, 20:26.
@ PHILSAINT

The canteen was a prefab situated at the top of the yard on the right just past the woodwork room.
Dicky D
Mon, 30 May 2016, 20:24.
@ Dave

Amber and blue were the colours when I attended in 1957-61, although uniforms were not compulsory and I never worn it. Amber and blue was also the rugby kit colours. The senior girls worn brown.
The pocket badge was a spread eagle and was designed by the late Ken Tranter art master.

<< < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 > >>