Schools Comments - St Helens Connect

I attended the one in Ullswater Avenue.Link to School
Clancy
Wed, 16 Feb 2011, 1:16.
We went to Windle Pilks for cookery lessons.Link to School
windle_alex
Tue, 15 Feb 2011, 21:20.
In another age when Mrs Clarkson ruled the roost; although it was located in Appleton Street then.Link to School
Madge
Tue, 15 Feb 2011, 18:37.
I was proud to be a Cowley girl from 1973 to 1979, one of the last years to be girls only. We had a lot of fun and freedom, no boys around to distract us. I still remember with fondness such excellent teachers as Mrs Cowley, Miss Jones and Mrs Gray. We were allowed out in our lunch hour from fifth year upwards and regularly went to buy yesterdays' custard tarts from the bakery at the top of Duke Street for 5p. Happy days!Link to School
Tue, 15 Feb 2011, 16:05.
I only attended the first year at the infants building that you knew, because after that we were off to the new school at Tennis Street North. The feacher of the first yeat infants was Mrs Hunter (who had been there since the early 1940s when my mum attended) and she retired the same year. Miss Goodwin who taught the following year came with us to the new school but she retired a few years later (replaced by Mrs Case). The head mistress was Miss Staveley - who retired circa 1968.

Does anyone remember the dinner lady Mrs Houghton? She'd hold your hand and squeeze so tight you thought that she'd crush it!
Olliebeak
Tue, 15 Feb 2011, 7:48.
I was at Cowley Girls from September 62 to July 67 (age 11 - 16). Uniform was 'Bottle Green' with 'Cambridge Blue' and I didn't mind wearing it at all - just hated the hat with a vengeance. Headteacher was Miss Jackson with Miss Pearson as head of the Lower School (yrs 1-3). I loved sports while I was there but was never a real 'academic-type' - I think I'd have been better going to Grange Park. Looking back now, I wish I'd 'stayed on' to do 'A' levels and regret not having tried harder to knuckle down to studying. Let's just say, I was easily distracted by hormones from around 14 onwards!Link to School
Olliebeak
Tue, 15 Feb 2011, 7:37.
I attended from Jan 56 (age4) to July 62 (age 11) - starting in the 'prefab building'. Teachers (in yr order) were - Mrs Hunter; Miss Goodwin; Mrs Mills; Mrs Tunstall; Mrs Free; Mr Ensor and Mr Owen. Miss Staveley was Headmistress - very strict but very fair - she was a Magistrate on 'The Juvenile Bench'. The Juniors 61/62 pic above is of my class and was taken in our final year. I'm in the middle of the back row.Link to School
bridger
Mon, 14 Feb 2011, 23:47.
The girls were in College St and the boys in North Road.Link to School
Alan
Mon, 14 Feb 2011, 20:19.
I attended the infant's school from 1948 to 1951. There was also a sort of pre-school section that operated in a low white (prefab?) building where they went from 5 to 6 years of age. This building was on the far side (west) of the infants' school. The senior school was across the playground from the infants

The head of the infants' school was Miss Stavely who lived in the Princess Avenue area. I also remember a Miss Billington there. If it's of any interest I have a 1948 class photograph of the kids in my year
Alan
Mon, 14 Feb 2011, 20:17.
I attended 1951 to 1953. Headmistress was Miss Henty (lived just a few doors away from Lingholme pub in Boundary Road) whose sister of the same name taught piano. Teachers' names I remember were Miss Foggo, Mr Welsby and Mr BellisLink to School
Sun, 13 Feb 2011, 16:45.
Does anyone know the year that it closed? Come to think - the year that it opened would be handy too - along with any other info. :)Link to School
Sun, 13 Feb 2011, 2:31.
Which sides were the girls and boys? Was it boys in North Road and girls in College Street?

I remember some of the kids went over to Windle Pilks for some classes and there was a 'woodwork centre' - I think, in Corporation Street.

<< < 20 21 22 [23]