Schools Comments - St Helens Connect

Showing Schools Comments

moody
Sun, 20 Feb 2011, 18:15.
Hated this school, hope its changed for the kids these days, I also hope that the nuns and priests are not running it anymore. Link to School
gypsygeoff
Fri, 18 Feb 2011, 0:55.
I went to this school.It was originally built in 1900 with local Sandstone from the Brethertons quarries.Bartholemew Bretherton built the church in 1833,it was a copy of St.Bartholemew of the lake in Rome.
The original school literally fell on our heads due to dry rot in the early 1960's.
The school that stands today was opened in 1963.
Fri, 18 Feb 2011, 0:18.
When I started at the senior school in 1969 (black uniform) the tie was diagonal striped amber and blue. Was it different when the uniform was brown?

An image of a badge would be good to have....
Thu, 17 Feb 2011, 19:58.
What were the school houses called? Gerard, Bold ... ??

When was it closed and when was it demolished?

I remember after closure, some time in the 80s, that a part of the building was taken over by a union faction who opened a bar (The Tressell Tavern).
Pam39
Thu, 17 Feb 2011, 16:01.
I started Rivington Nursery school at Easter1942 and finished in 1946. Children then had to leave Rivington Road and go to another school. I went to Knowley Road school till I was eleven,and then onto Central Modern till I was fifteen.Link to School
eejayess
Thu, 17 Feb 2011, 13:01.
Formerly Notre DameLink to School
SWIMMER
Wed, 16 Feb 2011, 21:21.
The boys entrance was opposite the cap on North Road, and the girls was opposite what is now the Police Station in College Street, however there were also entrances for the girls at the top and bottom of the school.

The school day was split up between windle pilk and the library building
Windle Pilk held the cookery and typing classes for the girls not sure for the boys think prob tech drawing.

To be more precise the building at the side of the library which would now be opposite the theatre held the gym and the pottery classes. I am not sure if there was anything else in there but that is all I can remember.

The main academic work of the school was done in College Street. There was a high wall that seperated the boys from the girls and never the twain should meet. The headmistress when I first attend was a Miss Mckay, when the school went comprehensive a male head arrived called Mr Smart.

Also when the school went comprehensive the uniform change from pink and navy to a cerise coloured tie with a blue stripe, can't remember the other colour in it.
SWIMMER
Wed, 16 Feb 2011, 21:12.
Had a brief spell at this school before attending knowsley Road. Link to School
SWIMMER
Wed, 16 Feb 2011, 21:09.
York Street Infants at the time I attended the headmistress was Mrs Anderton as far as I recall, not much more than that being such a young age. The only other thing that stuck in my head were the enforced naps in little camp beds with a grey blanket and pillow. Funny what sticks in your mind at such a young age.Link to School
bridger
Wed, 16 Feb 2011, 21:07.
I loved being at this school.The teachers I remember were Miss Causey, Miss Burrows, Miss Whittaker and Miss Hartley Headmistress. I can remember a big rocking horse in Miss Causey's classroom but I don't think anyone was allowed on it
Then the times we played on musical instruments.....I always ended up with the triangle.
SWIMMER
Wed, 16 Feb 2011, 21:03.
I went to Knowsley Road in 1961-1963. The headmaster was Mr Lilley and the teachers I can remember where Mrs Wallace, Mrs Heaton, Mr Gaskell and Mr Greenhall. I have a photograph somewhere with the school me in the school swimming team. I will try and find it and then if there is anyone else on it that you recongnise you can let me know. Also so pics of the school holiday week in London, if I can find them I will put them on.Link to School
Wed, 16 Feb 2011, 13:50.
Video found on Youtube.

Thumpa lumpa
Wed, 16 Feb 2011, 5:03.
Brilliant School, attended from 1957 to 1960, headmaster Mr. Pennington ,only teacher I can remember was Mr Gaskell, who set me on my way with a football career. They had a really good youth club running three nights a week, manned by the staff,it became very popular around the area,with people coming from Whiston,Prescot Link to School
Clancy