Schools Comments - St Helens Connect

Showing Schools Comments

macannie
Mon, 30 May 2016, 0:53.
Attended in the 60's. Mr Yates was the headmaster. Mrs Cork and Mrs Lucas were the top junior teachers. Mrs Hamilton taught the reception class. Remember Vicar Lane teaching a session every Friday morning about the church. Good old fashion discipline was the order of the day.Link to School
Dion
Sun, 24 Apr 2016, 11:02.
@ Lexus

Brendan, do you remember the first register for the boys?
it was something like:
Allcock Brown Cunnliffe Eccleston Glynn Hamilton Heesome Hill Horsley Lally Littler Nairn Reid Tully.
I don't know if I've missed anyone out?
johnsons53g
Tue, 29 Mar 2016, 19:33.
@ Dave

AND THE FORTH HOUSE WAS BIRCH (BLUE) DUTTON WAS (YELLOW) NOT SURE ABOUT COLOUR OF THE OTHER TWO HOUSES
steve1951
Fri, 26 Feb 2016, 20:06.
@ Davekirkman62

wasn\'t that mrs pert she was a right tartar she had yellow eyeballs she smoked that much.
bill harrison
Tue, 2 Feb 2016, 17:59.
@ gogsy

i was the original 'harrigogs' you followed from me......your big brother in canada
Thomas Heavey
Mon, 1 Feb 2016, 9:47.
@ lizthemeerkat

Hows about Mrs Corrigan, Mr Harry Rimmer, Miss Platt, Mrs Atherton (her son Peter was in my year), Sister Mary Dimphna, Sister Mary Celestine
Thomas Heavey
Mon, 1 Feb 2016, 9:17.
@ Crosfielder

The Gornalls I knew lived at about 178 Broad Oak Rd, Parr, upto my leaving in 1955
Thomas Heavey
Mon, 1 Feb 2016, 9:14.
@ Crosfielder

Not sure if it's the same Rimmer, but they had the shop near the Garage at the Horseshoe. They lived in Eccleston originally. I last saw Mrs Rimmer at her retirement home in N wales. She said her son lived in Pemberton, Wigan.
PHILSAINT
Sun, 31 Jan 2016, 19:36.
@ Iggybucket

My wife attended in 1961 to 1966 and is trying to find out if there was a canteen in the school and where it was situated can anyone help
Minerlad
Wed, 13 Jan 2016, 15:29.
@ alto

That is the wrong St Joseph School that was in Appleton St Peasley Cross
Lexus
Sat, 14 Nov 2015, 12:09.
@ Biffnidge

Hello, attended the same years '53 onwards, started Form 1B Mrs Broderick, had 18 months away, 65-67, thought it was ok when I left, my return in 4th year holds mixed memories, mostly negative, the time away sort of severed the earlier friendships, never regained any sort of comfort, disappointed, then left in '69 not really knowing what to do!
Last form was 5T teacher Sam Hill, fabulous bloke, and that was his last ever class due to moving more into an admin role.
Early years, much happier than later.
The school was very imposing, confusing, scary teachers wearing gowns, quadrangles, an early loss of rota was disastrous, when all the doors closed no idea where I should have been, never lost one again!
Brendan Glynn formerly of St Teresa's Newtown, left St Helens 1972, now an occasional visitor.
Fri, 6 Nov 2015, 17:01.
A picture of the school's badge from the days after it had changed from 'Comprehensive' to 'High' between 1975 and 1980, courtesy of Derek Johnson on Facebook's Rivington group.

RHS.jpg
Plus a picture of a key fob with the high school's name and emblem, thanks to Tracey.

RHS-fob.jpg
Busylizzie56
Mon, 26 Oct 2015, 17:48.
I attended Notre Dame, Eccleston from 68 -73. Sister Mary was the Headteacher. She changed her name to Sister Muriel while I was there. I remember Mrs Beaumont, Mrs Greenall, Mrs Jones, Miss Duffy, Sister Jennifer, Mrs Rimmer and Miss Lavelle. Oh and Mr Pilkington and Miss Fairhurst, the PE teacher!! I only stayed friends with one friend I had from those years.Link to School
stewilts
Wed, 21 Oct 2015, 8:51.
Had a great time at Cennie Mod, from 1969 - 1974 when the playgrounds were still separated.Link to School
Wed, 7 Oct 2015, 19:15.
An amusing set of videos about Holy Cross Junior School by Tony Kennedy.

Click