All Comments - St Helens Connect

Showing All Comments

Zeta
Sun, 12 Mar 2017, 19:08.
Was this pub across from Eccleston hall collieryLink to Pub
Sat, 25 Feb 2017, 21:22.
When places in Rainford match place names in St Helens, they will have the (Rfd) suffix to avoid confusion.

e.g. St Helens Road (Rfd)
Link to Website Page
Brianza
Fri, 24 Feb 2017, 9:42.
In the late 60s I used to go every Friday night to listen to the singers and a pianist who could play every tune in the world in whatever key the volunteer was singing, "you hum it. I'll play it". Brilliant days with John Derbyshire controlling events by shouting "one singer one song" when people joined in the singing.
I had my stag party there in 1970 (well before travelling to Prague was the fashion) and had a great time - so I was told.
Link to Pub
Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 14:35.
Current total = 86,795.

'Exact' option on the Address search now prevents too many results, if say, the query is something like 'Eccleston'.

Eccleston without exact

Eccleston with exact
Link to Website Page
fredmac
Wed, 11 Jan 2017, 14:58.
@ yicker124

Update on this post: I'm Fred McCabe:Now 73, still meeting with old boys from St Helens and Wigan about once a month. (I was yicker124 but email address I used at time no longer accessible so can't get old password)
Patron
Mon, 2 Jan 2017, 15:34.
I lived at number 76 from 1935 until 1946 Great childhood memories when mothers could let their children roam free .
Link to Street/Place
john mcnelly
Sat, 17 Dec 2016, 15:56.
I attended ParrMount schools from 1955 to 1961 juniors then 1961 to 1965 seniors, anyone remember me, if so get in touch.Link to School
tessmop
Fri, 25 Nov 2016, 13:28.
This is no longer a Pub,it is now F.W. Marsh funeral services.Link to Pub
Tue, 15 Nov 2016, 15:18.
@ jwood60

It was demolished and rebuilt and integrated into the Queen's Park Health and Fitness Centre.
jwood60
Sun, 30 Oct 2016, 21:57.
I used to swim for the county here,and have a flash back from when I was about 7/8 yrs old,that one of the school bullies pushed me in the deep end of the pool,I couldn't swim properly,one of the lads that was there jumped in and saved my life,after that I soon learned to swim,got my bronze,silver,gold and life saving certificates here,I wish I could remember the young lads name that saved me that day,so I could thank him,I ended up being able to swim for my school,and the county,as well as many diving championships,is it still going,or is it like many other places in St Helens,been sent to the scrap heap and closed downLink to Photo
hiss
Sun, 30 Oct 2016, 15:11.
I WAS BORN AT 69 VICTORIA ST. GERARDS BRIDGE IN 1946,I LIVED THERE UNTIL THE STREET WAS DEMOLISHED IN 1965.Link to Street/Place
paulbuzz
Sat, 29 Oct 2016, 7:22.
Only remember playing on the duckry as a kid still got some stone from the lions head .was all this land landscaped ncb property ?Link to Pit
jwood60
Tue, 18 Oct 2016, 21:30.
did this used to be the school on Moss Bank,it certainly looks like itLink to Photo
jwood60
Tue, 18 Oct 2016, 20:22.
Oh how this theatre has changed over the years,I used to sing and dance here every year in the Girl Guides,Scouts,and Brownies Gala,also in the Xmas pantamine's ,I have a lot of fond memories of the old theatre,and just wonder if the inside and stage area has changed,just as much as the outside front has,I am very surprised that it is still standing,there was also a bus station at the rear of the building,don't know if that has moved or not,but I am talking from 1959 up until 1967/68Link to Photo
jwood60
Sun, 16 Oct 2016, 19:34.
@ Joseph Julius

Hi I am sorry to say,but you must have your dates mixed up,because this school closed down in 1967,because I was there for 3 years,and then when it closed I went to Rivington Rd Comprehensive School after it closed,because my foster father was the caretaker there,and I was forced to help him clean the school,both after school,and during school holidays,if I refused to do it,he would send me to Scidmore for the cane,I think I got caned the most at that school out of anyone,even if I spoke to other girls they didn\'t like,they would send me to him for the cane,so I was really happy when it closed down,I have been back there and it is now a housing estate,along with a retirement home on there as well,we were lucky enough to have Johnny Mantle,as one of our teachers,as he used to play for St Helens rugby club,I don\'t know if you remember him or not,anyway just though I would drop you a line take care Joane Wood

<< < 1 [2] 3 4 5 > >>