All Comments - St Helens Connect

Showing All Comments

eejayess
Mon, 6 Nov 2017, 16:17.
My uncle Les Fairclough who played for Saints was landlord of the Liverpool Arms after he retired from Saints until his death in 1951, then his wife and son took it over for a while.Link to Photo
bartonaj
Tue, 19 Sep 2017, 21:36.
1814-1890. Link to Church
Callander
Thu, 22 Jun 2017, 16:30.
Recognise some of my classmates from Windlehurst Primary days - Stan Crosby, Eric Hale, Alan UNsworth, Geoffrey Skelland and my close friend Roger Clarke.Link to Photo
Callander
Thu, 22 Jun 2017, 16:13.
Two years after me but remember Mike Beddow who was an oustanding sportsman playing cricket for Lancashire and rugby league at Knowsley Road then at Oldham. He was previously at Windleshaw Primary School who we played (WIndlehurst) unsuccessfully at cricket and football, mainly because of Mike. George Bridge was also at Windlehust and a good sportsman. Remember also Billy French who played scrum half.Link to Photo
Callander
Thu, 22 Jun 2017, 16:02.
I attended Cowley GS from September 1952 until 1958. Just read an old obituary of Stan Rodden who was my form master in 1954. He had served in the RAF during WW2 and regaled us with his exploits. A chap called Lewis (Lefty) Lees was my first form master in 1952- our form included the following people- Dave Atherton,Ken Farrar, Roger Edmundson, Colin Bellis, Johnny Clare ( also at Windlehurst), Ged Connolly who I am still in touch with,Raph Charnock, Ronnie Earps, John and Arthur Ashcroft ( fellow train enthusiasts), Arthur Ashton, Dave Ashall. Not a bad memory for someone approaching 77! Bill Brady- real name Richard P. Brady taught us geography and everyone listened intently as he had a fearsome temper, as a fellow student called Ally Gledhill can confirm.Link to School
Callander
Thu, 22 Jun 2017, 15:46.
I started at Windlehurst in the immediate post war year and remember most of the teachers fondly, apart from that dragon of a headmistress Annie Clarke, who once belted me round the chops for throwing a snowball. Still in touch with a number of classmates- Vince Travis, Roger Clarke and the late Stan Crosby who  passed away very recently.The following teachers taught me- Miss Phillips, Mrs Challinor, Mrs Pearce, Mr Metcalfe (my favourite) and Mrs Audrey Gertrude Swift. Many happy memories apart from Miss Clarke and the smell of boiling cabbage coming from the canteen.Link to School
Peter John Roche
Thu, 8 Jun 2017, 8:45.
I worked down No1 pit when I was 16 years old in 1964 on supplies. I did my training at Old Boston in Haydock, I also went down various other pits during training such as Bold, Ravenhead and the then newest pit Parkside, It was a great experience, some friends worked down Cronton and were there till the end.

Good memories.
Link to Pit
middleageman
Sat, 6 May 2017, 12:46.
Miss Goulding got married and became mrs stirrup I was in her class second year i loved that school I have fond memories of it
LesleyShaw
Mon, 17 Apr 2017, 22:01.
looking for pics/info on Heatons Butchers in Peter Street in the 1940/50s- also pics/info on Litherlands Butchers - not sure if in Peter Street or not.  Both butchers were married to Topping girls

Link to Street/Place
Br1an
Mon, 17 Apr 2017, 19:33.
Also remember being at Crown Street. When we walked down for dinner there would be shouts, and counter shouts, ot "Cat Licks" and "Proddy Dogs" between us and St Matthews. Wouldn't be allowed now.
Then at St Austins it was "New School, paddling pool" versus "Crown Street, Smelly Feet".
What an education we all gotted.
Though come to think of it we were using metric at Crown Street and StAustins, then When I moved over to Bleak hill Juniors a couple of years later they were in feet an inches and no metric.
Bleak Hill dead read proper England tho, not like the ITA (or whatever), phonetic reading that confused me to bits when trying to read real words.

Zeta
Mon, 10 Apr 2017, 15:42.
Yes I did mean this photoLink to Photo
Zeta
Sun, 2 Apr 2017, 17:48.
Yes I meant this picture, I would like to know what the gathering was for.Link to Pit
hiss
Wed, 29 Mar 2017, 15:07.
the only teacher i remember was mrs hartley. i remember a girl named beryl reid breaking a window by slamming a door when going home.
Brianza
Mon, 20 Mar 2017, 15:49.
Before going to the Friday Co-op dance in 1960, four of us sixteen year olds tried to buy our first alcoholic drink in The Sephton.
In the bar, after a long discussion, we decided we liked sherry because that is what our parents had in the house over Christmas and we had tasted it.
Having seen John Wayne ordering whisky with glasses we asked for a bottle of Bristol Cream and four glasses. The barman held his arm up, pointed to the door and said OUT. Memories!!!
Link to Pub
Sun, 19 Mar 2017, 23:19.
Did you mean this picture?

Linked to Eccleston Hall Colliery