I am researching my 2X great grand father William Rice. He was born in Ireland and married Teresa Baker in 1874 Eglish, Offaly. They arrived sometime in St Helens an had a daughter Mary in 1876.

I cannot find them on any Census records for 1881, 1891 and then I found Mary in 1901 married to Joseph O'Neill.

Teresa Baker died in 1908 at the Whiston Workhouse. Listed on the census 1881 as a cook. I don't know if she was living or working in the workhouse? she is listed as a pauper inmate. Then I found her in 1908 death certificate as a wife of William Rice living at 30 Sandon st. This was great grandmothers address so I can confirm it is the right certificate.

On Mary Rice marriage cert William is listed as father and living in Feb 1898. On the death certificate William is listed as an iron worker.

I did find a death cert for William but I cannot confirm it was him. Death occurred in workhouse infirmary. Occupation is 'scavenger of 24 Market street'

Any help in locating this family on the census records, church records? I do have the whiston workhouse CD that Pauline sent to me but didn't find anything for William.

Any thoughts or ideas to help make sense of this puzzel?

You must be signed in to read this content.

Edited by Phyll