Dig

Lady Pilks

Lady Pilkingtons summer garden party.I met Simon Western who was fundraising.

At one of her Garden Parties our Obedience Champion Bright Future gave a display (Stella)

I only ever met her on one occasion - in the Chemist Shop on Greenfield Road, when she was chatting in a very friendly with the Assistants in there.  Seemed like a really lovely lady, but I couldn't help a little giggle ..................... the image of Dick Emery's 'Mandy' remained with me ever afterwards :blush: .

69900.jpg?quality=85&mode=crop&width=396

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

My mum and dad knew Lady Pilks, my mum was accompanist for St Helens amateur operatics and my dad a singer. They were presented with long service medals by Lady Pilks (I think) some time in the 1970s or 1980s. Is the operatic society still going? I used to know a few of the members years ago before I left St. Helens in the late 60s.

While my dad was working at Windle Hall (as a decorator for Swires), Lord Harry asked him if he'd fancy the job of being his new butler. They could live there and mum could be a servant or a cook, or whatever. Mum didn't like the idea so it didn't happen. :D

• Like (+1) 1

Ah Swires of St Helens. I can't remember his name (it wasn't Swire) but the son of Swire's owner was Chairman of Sheffield Eagles RLFC in the 1990s. Just a piece of useless information!

added 33 minutes later

Brainstorm. Yes it was Ian Swire who was Chairman of Sheffield Eagles until last year

Yeah, HORT mentioned it in September.

I think that the 'current owner' is Chris Brady. I wonder if he's downsizing or upgrading? :)

Sorry Hort, looks like you got the story first :)

Its in the Star this week, as a News Item, but you read first here on St Helens Connect!

I can't imagine the kind of price it'd go for down south. Great grandmother's house in Gosmore (or St Ippolyts), Hitchin isn't a patch on Windle Hall and it is a similar price. I heard that one of the disadvantages at Windle Hall is that it isn't connected to the sewage network and it relies on something that needs to be emptied.

Cesspit?

So are some houses  at Carr Mill.

Windle Hall looks quite tatty from the outside (or did last time I saw it some years ago) the paint was peeling and it looked tired and shabby but the inside looks amazing in those pics. Hard to believe the house in Gosmore is a similar price :blink:

11 minutes ago, HORT said:

Cesspit?

That's the word. :)

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 09:40, J R piano said:

My mum and dad knew Lady Pilks, my mum was accompanist for St Helens amateur operatics and my dad a singer. They were presented with long service medals by Lady Pilks (I think) some time in the 1970s or 1980s. Is the operatic society still going? I used to know a few of the members years ago before I left St. Helens in the late 60s.

I left St Helens too and I lost touch with everyone, but I had some relatives that were in that Society, my Mum and I used to go and watch them all the time at The Theatre Royal and we sometimes saw Lady Mavis there, I think one time we even went to the Garden Party.

There were a couple of Societies, St. Helens Amateur Operatic, Pilks and they used to do G & S sometimes, but it looks like they have all combined over the years.

This old article is about St Helens Catholic Amateur Gilbert and Sullivan Society, it mentions one of my relatives, Tommy Leigh.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/6042506.It_s_a_musical_milestone_/

Tommy has since died, but he was very involved with Amateur Operatics and he worked with me at The Prov, maybe you, or anyone else knew him?

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/6152071.Fond_farewell_to_songster_Tommy/?ref=arc

Edited by Phyll

I knew most of the people mentioned in these two articles, in fact two of them are my parents, May and Harry. I was in Lowe House church choir as a boy and Tommy Leigh's father was the choirmaster. We used to go up to his house in North Road for rehearsals. I actually appeared in The Gondoliers with the St H Gilbert and Sullivan Society at the age of about 12 as a sort of page boy! Because my mum was the accompanist I know (but now don't particularly love) most of the G & S music.

• Like (+1) 2

Good to see the Rotherham Family mentioned. I Knew Harry & May through my amateur operatics involvement. They were stalwarts  of the operatic and dramatic societies over many years. Lovely people always happy to help anybody.

With regard to the Windle Hall garden parties, I did a video film of the first one in aid of The Friends of the Theatre Royal at which Ken Dodd, John Stride and the Houghton Weavers took part. Each of the local Amateur Dramatic and Operatic Societies had a standn. A wonderful event in every respect.

I converted the video into DVD and still have a copy to this day.. Oh happy days!

On 10/11/2017 at 00:21, HORT said:

Cesspit?

So are some houses  at Carr Mill.

So is our house and thousands others outside city/town limits in Cumbria. As far as I can tell, it has zero impact on property values

I never met Lord Pilkington but he was in regular contact with my grandad who was chairman of Pilkingtons pensioners for years and sometimes they would arrange bowling matches between retired pensioners and retired directors.He wrote many times, the last two congratulating my grandparents on their diamond wedding, and then a month later offering condolences when my nana died. Lady Mavis used to visit my grandad's plot sometimes. Another time I met her was at a Christmas party at the Blind School and from what I remember she was helping with the washing up. They both were very down to earth people and not at all stuck up.

I was told he would not have a swimming pool at Windle Hall as his daughter with his first wife, Lady Margaret drowned.

added 1 minute later
On 11/18/2017 at 20:14, jonmuse said:

The Friends of the Theatre Royal at which Ken Dodd, John Stride

Wasn't Joh Stride married to Lady Mavis's daughter April?

Yes he was TJ.  and after putting my post of the topic, I watched the DVD and Lady P. explained that.

The Garden Party took place in 1984 and although the quality by todays standard leaves something to be desired, it's still good to watch it.

I went when the gardens were opened to the public to raise money for charity probably early 1970's