Hello all,

I was hoping that someone may be able to help me. I'm researching my family history and know that my Mums parents both came from St Helens. I have got quite far but I've hit a brick wall at the moment.

My Grandparents were Leslie Barton and Barbara Barton nee Wallace (previously Brigid Pearse Wallace). 

Leslies Parents were William Barton and Florence Barton nee Lilley of 75 Rivington Street. I have traced back on both sides to the mid 1800's. On Florences side her grandparents, Joseph Stanley and Ann Saville in 1870's, owned a chippy in Peter Street.  Williams side his parents, Peter Barton (Fruitier) and Charlotte Ann Ashcroft lived in 19 Raglan Street.

Barbaras (Brigids) Parents were William Wallace and Ann Neary. Williams sister is possibly Elizabeth. Ann was born around Oct 1895. I have no other information on them.

If anyone has any information on any of the names tagged or anyone mentioned in this post I would be ever so grateful. I am desperate to find as much info as I can before I go to the records office.

Thank you for reading and I hope someone can help me 

Laura

Posted (edited)

Hmm, this is a hard one

You are tracking William Wallace and Ann Neary I take it? I've just done some initial searching at the GRO and can tell you there is no Elizebeth Ann Wallace born between  1890-1900 anywhere near this area, they are all far North and far South. Only one in Liverpool 1882 mother Tomeno and one West Derby 1904 mother Newton. Also no William Wallace born around 1900 in St Helens/Prescot either although there are a few dotted around Liverpool and one in Warrington. 

The name does appear in the marriage lists  but not a William for that era and I don't have enough info yet to choose others

Nothing on the marriage cert for William?

There is no Brigid or Barbara Wallace in the 1939 census for St Helens although she could be in nearby townships such as Prescot. Same goes for William or Ann

The Brigid Pearse Wallace sounds like a naming tradition, Scottish maybe, her father's mothers maiden name could have been Pearse, just a thought

Although she was born here in 1920 and married here in 1947 it does not look likely her parents were from here or even lived here for long sorry

Edited by RATTY

there was a ann neary born in st Helens in 1895, it's shown in Lancashire bmd site but not In the gro site. this is not a uncommon feature when records are copied. 

Hi Laura,

I'm originally from St Helens and searching my own Barton family history.

It seems we have a common ancestor in my great grandfather Peter Barton, William's father, who as you say was a fruiterer.  I have gathered information from census documents  and BMD going back to 1851 and this suggests the following.

William & Charlotte Barton (née Ashcroft) had 4 children - Elizabeth (1891-1944), William, your great grandfather, born in 1893, John my grandfather (1895-1972) and  Eva (1910-1944) 

Your William and my Peter's parents were William & Rachel (nee Coulshed) both born around 1835. It is uncertain who William Barton senior's parents were but Rachel's parents were William Coulshed (1801-76) and Mary Appleton (1807 - ?).  Williams seem to run in the family (and many others I suspect during this period of history).  Beyond that date things a very hazy.. I have hints for births and spouses for Appletons and one Coulshed but no Bartons.

If you are interested, you could go to the census yourself but just in case you don't want to go I can tell you that William and Rachel had many children

Jane (b1856); William Thomas (b1858), Mary (b1863), John (b1864), Edmund (b1866), Peter (1868-1947), Elizabeth (b 1871), James (b 1876),  and Mary Ann (b 1880)

I came onto this St Helens site to try to find out if there was anything about Peter Barton's fruit business.  Barton's pickles business is well known to us and (probably) related via his brother Edmund.  I've contacted Barton's Pickles current family to ask if this is the case but they say "no"!  

It is hard to believe that two brothers, one with a fruit business and one making pickles (using vegetables) are not connected; after all it's one way to use unsold stock.  My Grandfather John (known Jack) told me of that he used to go by  pony and cart from St Helens to Liverpool early mornings to get to the wholesale market to buy fruit and veg. 

However there is another story I am trying to get  evidence of - that Peter went out to South Africa in the late 1890s.  There are a couple of  Peter Bartons serving in the Boer Wars but nothing I can confirm with confidence.

If there is anything you can confirm, suggest, or give a different description to, I'd love to hear..

If you are interested I have a picture of Peter taken not long before his death in 1947.

Stephen Barton