Incaman

Sad Day for Ice Cream Lovers

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Saw the sad news posted on a lamppost today that Vincents Ice Cream factory in Crowther street is closed and three houses are to be built in its place.

I have fond memories of this place as a child going for my penny ice lolly or a cornet. I have still bought ice cream from there recently and it was so much better than the supermarket stuff, a real taste of how ice cream should be. Every time I went in there it brought all those childhood memories flooding back as the place had changed little over the years. I particularly remember the little step up to the serving hatch which is still there that I used to stand on to get served. What a shame it is to go. I suppose it must have been hard with all the competition from supermarkets but its still sad to see a link with the past go. I had several conversations with the current Mr Vincent about the memories I have of the place and he told me a little of how the family came here and started the business. He also told me what goes into supermarket ice cream and they way they make it which explained why VINCENTS tasted so much better!

I realise that things can't last forever, but it's still a very, very sad day for an ice cream lover!

Edited by Incaman
1 person likes this

Remember it well, although I'm blowed if I can recall exactly where it was other than that I had to go somewhere up Boundary Road. The other one I remember is Fredericks which was somewhere off Peter Street. I imagine that both the Vincent and Frederick families were originally Italian immigrants

Yes I remember both Vincent's and Fredericks. They used to come round in horse-drawn ice cream vans with a bell. I usually had to go out after they'd gone and collect the horse manure for the garden!

Thanks Dave. As far as the Frederick family are concerned, I had it in my mind that they were also Italian originally, but the 1939 detail doesn't confirm that. I have a vague memory of sitting next to one of the Frederick family on an early morning flight from Manchester to Frankfurt where he was exhibiting in a food fair. This would be about 1994 and I'm sure he told me his granddad came from Italy

The Fredericks who lived at 46 and 52 Kirkland Street were all in the ice cream biz. Dominic at number 46 was "Motor Driver For Sale & Delivery Of Ice Creams". Albert at number 52 was "Production Manager Ice Cream Factory" along with Austin "Confectioner Ice Cream Manufacturer".

The Vincents in Crowther Street (four of them still redacted) all had their surname crossed out and replaced by Vernazza, which is a bit strange. Maybe they hadn't officially changed their names?

2 minutes ago, Dave said:

The Vincents in Crowther Street all had their surname crossed out and replaced by Vernazza, which is a bit strange. Maybe they hadn't officially changed their names?

Their family graves have Vernazza on too.

It was most likely a trading name (like Bowie instead of Jones, etc.) while never bothering with deed poll.

Remember them both , Fredricks was the best IMO. Frederickss have a cafe near Chorley.

I worked as an ice-cream man for Fredericks for a short while from the factory they had (have?) in Ashton. I don't know for sure if they were of Italian descent but they looked to have the Mediterranean olive skinned appearance. It must have been a good paying business as they had quite a large house at the top end of Liverpool road Ashton.

I liked both vincents and fredericks ice cream, It's too expensive now to make real ice cream, you can still get it, but some people just wont buy it because of the price, people are now more accustomed to the chemical powdered stuff that's mixed with water and its soft scoop properties.

Vincents still used the Horse drawn ice cream cart long after Fredericks and Randolfs switched to Motor Vehicles.Dom Frederick served the Sutton Manor area Con Maloone from Mill Lane sold Fredericks ice cream in the Marshalls Cross area from a Tricycle,the only other ice cream street vendor I can remember was Walls "Stop me and buy one"

some shops made their own ice cream.

in the 1930s StHelens byelaws prohibited the sale of ice cream by a street vendor on Sundays and as youngsters in Sutton Manor we were lucky to be on the border with Widnes who had no such byelaw so the ice cream man could stop at the junction of Jubitts lane and Bell lane to trade .

another bit of useless information ice cream was called Hokey Pokey in the early 1900s

I do not think that is the Fredericks that operated in St Helens 

It is probably the Ashton branch of the family ~ They had a son who probably took over the business from his father and aunt who ran the firm when I worked there in the 1970s

Your right Dave I had forgotten them and I have a faint idea that a firm name Birchalls existed perhaps someone can confirm.

The Birchall name doesn't crop up in 1939 associated with the term 'Ice Cream' as occupation in St Helens C.B. (or Whiston R.D. or  Rainford U.D.) but then it might have been since 1939.

I was a regular visitor to Vincent's ice cream in my youth because my grandparents lived in Gladstone street and when we had one of our family get together's my cousins and I would nearly always end up there, I bet they made some money. Always loved the smell of the place.        My dad had a scar on his leg where Vincent's horse kicked him when he was a lad so the business must have been there some time. It's a shame that things have to change.    Happy days.