Sign in to follow this  
Victory01

Non-Conformist Baptism Information

Victory01    1

Hi

Trying to tie up some gaps on family tree.  My relatives and I are on Ancestry and we have done a lot of work (back to the 1600'S) but we still have one or two things we would like to tie off.

My g.g. grandmother was MARY ANN HANCOCK born 12 December 1872, Parr, St Helens.  Her parents were ABEL HANCOCK (originally from Wales) and ISABELLA HILL (St Helens).  MARY ANN was born in Parr and the family lived in Parr all their lives (ISABELLA DIED 1886). 

I was interested in trying to locate a baptism record for MARY ANN HANCOCK, however, they were non-conformists.  I wondered if anyone would know of any chapels they may have attended where she might have been baptized.  They lived on Chancery Lane and Parr Stocks Road on and off many years.  Would any baptism records exist for non-conformists?  I was wondering about the Welsh Chapel.

Also MARY ANN HANCOCK was a scholar and did go to school.  In 1881 they were living at 77 Chancery Lane, Parr.  Again I wondered if anyone knew what schools might be in the area at that time.  I was wondering if any records might exist.   I have tried to track a school record for her as well on FindMyPast but to no avail.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.  Thank you.

RATTY    1,563

Hmm this is a hard one as Methodist records are few and far between
The only records I can look at are New Chapel Independent, Baldwin Street and they only go up to 1837. There are no Hancocks at all in Baps or Burials up to that date. Lancashire rec office don't have any older records than this.

other possible places :

Ormskirk St Independent from 1688
Bethel Congregational, Pigot Street (no dates)
Tontine Street Wesleyan? 1802-1893, These are at Lancs record office if not at St Helens library( I can only access up to 1837 with nothing turning up either)
Sutton Oak  Chapel founded 1845 was Wesleyan Methodist up until 1893 when it was handed to the Welsh community although there were other Welsh chapels in the area, unknown to me except for  Welsh Presbyterian Church's old chapel in Peckers Hill Road, Still exists but is not a church. Haven't a clue where records are held for these

Try the History and Archives library records at the main library 

You could try these for info where to search after that
https://www.genguide.co.uk/source/methodist-registers-and-records-nonconformists/92/

http://www.methodistheritage.org.uk/archives-libraries-methodist.htm

I'm sure there's another website that you can get an address to write to for records but it's not coming to mind at present, something to do with Dr things library

There's this on the Welsh Chapels
http://www.suttonbeauty.org.uk/suttonhistory/religion4/

Don't have any info on schools in the area either

Sorry, not much help really, good luck in your search

Edited by RATTY

Victory01    1

Thank you for your help.  At least I now have a bit more information about the Methodist churches that were around then. 

Many thanks. 

• Like (+1) 1