Sign in to follow this  
HORT

Queen in St Helens.

HORT    1,091
Posted (edited)

Does anyone remember the first time the Queen came to St Helens?

I do.

It was 1954 and was recorded on video by Pathe News.

Below is a link to the news video. The first 25 seconds is about the Queen in Wigan and then she  comes to St Helens.

Turn up the sound and go to full screen.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/for-lancashire-only-queen-and-duke-in-lancashire/query/st+helens

Edited by HORT
  • Like (+1) 1

kizzy    1,049

Yes I remember that visit. We kids were taken from school (St Austins) to stand somewhere near to Toll Bar. We waited for what seemed like hours and most of us were so bored we'd lost interest by the time the car turned up.

wanderer    4

I also remember it just.  I was at Laffack School and we all walked to the East Lanc. Rd. junction at Carr Mill to watch them drive past.  Along wait for a small glimpse but still a locked in memory.

Alan    2,051

Yes, I remember. I watched her go past in Greenfield Road. I was at Cowley. From memory we'd all been given the afternoon off so I went to my grandparents in Dentons Green Lane and then to Greenfield Road to watch them go past. They were late and one brave Cowley lad got the cane for riding his bike (no hands) down Greenfield Road waving to the crowds about two minutes before the royal procession went past

Cowley was full of harmless Royalty jokes at the time. The Town Hall bogs had been specially prepared with silver thrutch-bars for her to hang onto and Royal Blue silk bog-rolls was one such story

• Like (+1) 1

HORT    1,091

I was 5 years old, and it was supposed to be such a momentous time that I was taken to watch.

My grandad, worked for CA and D Heatons Removals They had a house next to their depot in Dentons Green Lane.

We watched the royal couple drive past. I recall it it as if it was yesterday even though I was only 5.

jvy20    107

Could well be wrong  but I think they stayed at Lord Derby  - I remember waiting outside ELE school on St Helens Road when they were driven past

kizzy    1,049

Just found this old thread complete with photos..

• Like (+1) 2

HORT    1,091

I can't remember seeing that on here before.

Good pictures