Sign in to follow this  
RATTY

Burial at St Helens Parish Church

Save me a trip to the library please

The records online only go up to 1850, the cemetery was closed in 1861 and I want a burial around December 1858

for a Mary Burrows age 20

I may be wrong about the age though

Hi Ratty, Are you sure it's the Parish Church, there is this one on LOPC?

Burial: 27 Jun 1858 St Thomas, Eccleston, Lancashire, England

Mary Burrows -

Abode: Windle

Buried by: R. Greenall Incumbent

Register: Burials 1839 - 1861, Page 100, Entry 795

Source: LDS Film 1849657

• Like (+1) 1

Aah! well, I'm trying to find the death of this person and the two that are likely are exactly same age and year but different quarters, I found the St Thomas one and am now trying to track down details of the other before I make a choice which certificate to apply for, it could be either.

I do know that her marriage was at Parish Church and that she lived in Moorflat. They had a child in 1856 called Alice but although I have the birth cert I only found bishops transcript for the baptism so don't know which church they used. As I say it could be either.

I already sent for one death which was the wrong person, age was 18 months not 18 years as the index stated rolleyes.gif

• Like (+1) 1

Is this the daughter:

Alice Burrows, daughter of Samuel & Mary. Born 9 March 1856, baptized 13 April 1856 at St Helens Parish Church

It is Lankylad thanks much for that.

So I'm on the right track then, marriage and baptism at Parish Church so if the burial in 1858 is listed there then that is my Mary and I can sendd for the cert.

Looks like I'll have to go to the library tomorrow, if they dont have the transcription I'll ask at the history group meeting

If Alice is the orphan on the 1861 census then LancsBMD has 1858 death references for a Samuel (SH/26/98) and Mary (SH/26/93) in the same register - might be a mere coincidence as there are two other references for Mary in that year. Could be worth asking the Register Office to check for you.

It is the same person she was an orphan and lived with that family until her marriage I think John Murphy was a godparent to her child. The death for Samuel is not mine as that was a child age 4(by the GRO indexes) of course that could be wrong I cant remeber if I found the burial for him just now

Altogether between 1856 when Alice born and 1861 census when shes an orphan there are 7 Mary Burrows deaths, Ive eliminated all but these 2 due to ages and burials, they are either in 90s or under 2

So I'm left with these two Marys both age 20 and I've checked the original index pages on free bmd and they are completely different entries with different other people on page.

It could be either but I'm hoping the december one was buried from Parish church because this would fit better and I can send for that during this trial at GRO if not I'll have to order them both. Or as you say, get the register office to help me

As for Samuel I have a clue his family are from Cheshire, his father is Titus,maybe he is buried there, there is no other trace of him.

This family is strange, the daughter Alice married and had two children then just walked out one day and disappeared, nobody knows what happened (or so they said)

Edited by RATTY

Well I checked the transcripts today and they end in August for 1858 then begin in March for 1859 so thats that theory boloxed