Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
H.Darby

what are your opinions (disused railways)

16 posts in this topic

I'm browsing Google earth/maps,

There is a disused rail line that runs from St Helens central station that forks of behind matalan, (without realising,I cross this line daily when walking down the canal near tesco,) it runs parallel with Jackson Street untill you reach gaskell brigde,continues up to Baxter's lane,were it splits , one side abruptly ends ,the other side continues to lancots lane , were the rail line appears to stop aswell , this is not the case, as the rail line turns to a concrete and dirt footpath, for around 300m (maybe less) untill you get to elamsbridge road were from the ground and from the sky( Google earth/maps) you can see a steel supporting bridge were the rail line continues to robins lane,were it again dissapears, This means it has possibly been purposely covered, just after robins lane (perfectly in line with St Anne's church) the line splits again and joins with St Helens junction line ( this again can be seen by foot on ground and on Google maps/earth) from the junction split it continues south through the woods (yet another steel support bridge can be seen, this line runs south all the way to willow tree primary school were I think the line ends,

Could this be a colliery mining track? Or just a load of rubbish, let me know your opinions,

These were working passenger lines. The first you mention ran from Shaw Street to the junction. The second would be the old St Helens Runcorn Gap Railway through Clockface.

Ah OK, thank you fireman, appreciate that, I'm trying to find any of the old mines and colliery's that may still open and accessible, any info on any of these would be greatly appreciated too? I made a post called saint Helens urban exploration, for after new year I wish to attempt in getting a group together to explore some urban myths and legends of saints history.

Edited by H.Darby

An absolutely brilliant website.

Thanks for posting it.

If you scroll down the page you will find a disused station link

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/sites.shtml

search " Gerards Bridge " it's an eye opener to the rail network we had !

And don't forget , Central Station was at Corporation St. where the Magistrates' Court Building is today . Today's " Central " was known as Shaw Street station .

Edited by sint hellin

I emailed them asking for some info on Widnes old freight station a while ago but never got any reply so don't expect much feedback peeps

If you scroll down the page you will find a disused station link

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/sites.shtml

search " Gerards Bridge " it's an eye opener to the rail network we had !

And don't forget , Central Station was at Corporation St. where the Magistrates' Court Building is today . Today's " Central " was known as Shaw Street station .

This looks like the route my Howards took in the 1860's from Ormskirk.

@ tessmop it would have been also they may have walked or used a pony down the old coach road as the A580 did not exist , sometimes to save money they could get on / off at Sidings Lane Rainford . My mob used to use that route .

@ RATTY what was you looking for in Widnes Freight yard ?

@ tessmop it would have been also they may have walked or used a pony down the old coach road as the A580 did not exist , sometimes to save money they could get on / off at Sidings Lane Rainford . My mob used to use that route .

@ RATTY what was you looking for in Widnes Freight yard , Cornwall street / Railway street ?

@ RATTY what was you looking for in Widnes Freight yard , Cornwall street / Railway street ?

My editing needs practice haha !

Edited by sint hellin
2 people like this

I remember When i was a Kid We used To walk From Merton Bank To the Bottom of Crank Hill along the old railway tracks

Could you get through Pilkingtons ? i.e. from College Street to Washway Lane ? or do you mean Moss Bank to Crank ? Did you get stonkies from the stonky tip ?

Edited by sint hellin

No The line That went Past merton bank School I think If I remember right It went past Forsters Glassworks there were Lines Going everywhere In those days and no (or very few) Fences so you Could Follow them Everywhere

Newbie lol, it takes time to remember to clear the edit box before adding a new post, I'm always doing it, especially when I'm rushing, hence the many edited posts for no reason

I can't remember what exactly it was about Widnes now. I had an ancestor who was a soldier all his life and when he retired went to work at Widnes yard, possibly I was trying to locate it exactly and any other info at the time. Must have found the info elsewhere though. Ill have a search though my stuff and if I have a question I'll PM you. thanks for asking

Fantastic find there RATTY well done, good spotting.

1 person likes this

hello darby were are 2 books published called "industrial railways of st helens,widnes and warrington by c h a townley and j a pedan covers them all out of print now but maybe library still has copies,i have both volumes but then i remember the last passenger train to st helens central.

forgot to say there is also widnes and st helens railways by bob pinxton have a spare copy of this one,pm me if u would like it,but dont come on here very often.