Sign in to follow this  
JFM

New Years Eve and Hot Pot

JFM    10

Following on from the Christmas Past theme

1 What is the Ultimate recipe for "LANCASHIRE HOT POT" to be dished up on New Years Eve?

2 What time do you eat it?

3 Do you have a Crust or not?

4 What go's with it?

5 What drink's go best with it?

P.S HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL

P.P.S Are tere any other hot pots to match a Lanchashire Hot Pot? (I doubt it!)

• Like (+1) 1

SWIMMER    326

Hi JFM, if you check back you will find there is another post on this somewhere with some very interesting answers you may enjoy, can't remember which it is but it will probably on around the same time last year. Love New Years hotpot always been a strong tradition with my family,

This New Year will be spent and my Son and daughter in laws as normal, we will eat the hotpot at gone twelve after the Newyear has been let in. There would be ructions if there were not a crust on it and plenty of redcabbage, little onions and picallili to go with it.

Drink sorry can't help you there as none of us drink, but if my dad were still here he would probably say whiskey. lol

hope you are having a Merry Christmas and a brilliant New Year to come

beerchug.gif

JFM    10

Thanks Swimmer and the same to you and yours

will try and find that post

glassman    24

in our house hot pot was always done in the oven & had a crust on

lobbies had no crust & where cooked on the stove ring

it seems fron various discussions the terminology varied area to area

Olliebeak    1,031

I'm sure that most families have their own variations of what constitutes Lancashire Hot Pot. I thought that the one I was brought up on was just that - but apparently not sad.png.

Traditional Lancashire Hotpot Recipe - but not necessarily what we all know and love.

Personally speaking, I prefer my own version - about the same as my nan's, of course wink.png. Stewing Steak/Shin Beef, onions, carrots, chunks of potato (not slices), pearl barley and some shredded dark green savoy cabbage all cooked together in Oxo Stock and then into the oven with a pastry crust on the top. Served with Barton's Piccalilli/Pickled Red Cabbage/Pickled Beetroot/Pickled Onions or plain boiled beetroot because my digestive system can't take the vinegar these days.

Edited by Olliebeak

Nanny Ogg    237

We always made hot pot with lamb, onions, carrots, anything that was lying around the kitchen and, like Ollie said, chunks of potato. Salt, pepper, rich stock and my secret ingredient LOL I always put Marmite in it. Always a crust, too :)

Olliebeak    1,031

The 'Traditional Fare' for New Year in Liverpool is - you guessed it - Scouse!!! .......... or Bacon (not Pork) Ribs and Cabbage - equally as drool.gif

In fact both dishes would be served at e-v-e-r-y get together if allowed - engagements, weddings, 21st's, funeral wakes, barmitzvah's etc - ooops well perhaps NOT the Ribs at barmitzvah's - but you get my drift roflmao.gif.

Oh dear missed out the rest of JFM's questions -

What time do you eat it? - I prefer to eat it around 9.00pm but I'm not a late night party person - I'd want to be tucked up in bed by 1.00am. When I was younger, I'd have wanted it after Midnight - extra fortification for further celebrate2.gif.

Crust or No Crust? - Crust! Crust!! Crust!!! - with an extra crust baked separately just in case there's not enough on the actual dish!

What goes with it? - Anything at all made by Bartons - end of conversation on that subject ;)

What drinks go with it? - Dandelion and Burdock, Tizer, Shandy

HS1NY1.gif everybody

Edited by Olliebeak

leschip    1,265

We eat it early evening, with a glass of mild. No crust and make it with lamb, onion, carrot, swede, sliced potatoes,mushrooms. When I worked in Huyton and said that I had lobbies for my tea I was laughed at-- 2 miles away and they'd never heard of them. When I explained it was what they called Scouse they knew I was a foreigner. It took some explaining that they were called after Lobscuse a dish that was introduced by Scandanavian sailors.

Edited by leschip

kizzy    1,026

Mine was made with lamb shank, potatoes, carrots onions and celery in slow cooker. Crust was baked seperately in oven but it was eaten at tea time (6 pm). Wouldn't sleep if I ate after midnight! Don't bother with the pickles either I like crusty buttered bread with mine. Happy New Year to everyone. I wish you all a healthy and peaceful 2012 smile.png

SWIMMER    326

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL Hotpot was fantastic, the kids stayed up and there was not a scoric left on anyones plate, you cannot beat the first hotpot of the newyear, accompanied with red cabbage and picallil. Lovely. Hope you all have a fantastic 2012

love swimmer and family.

Guest Honey   
Guest Honey

in our house hot pot was always done in the oven & had a crust on

lobbies had no crust & where cooked on the stove ring

it seems fron various discussions the terminology varied area to area

agreed! I cook lobbies often, hotpot is cooked in the oven unlike lobbies

For me hot pot must have a crust to be a proper St.Helens version,even though traditional Lancashire hot pot in other areas tends to be crustless.

Red cabbage is also a must to accompany the dish.As for drink,anything that takes your fancy.

I must agree with Carrmillite that Cottams make a wonderful hot pot and when I visit St.Helens I usually bring half a dozen back to Leicester and put them in the freezer.

I then ration myself to make them last till my next visit.

Happy New Year to all on Connect.

Nanny Ogg    237

I'm with you, Lowe House Boy, crust essential :) and with others, red cabbage and piccalilli make the best ever

Olliebeak    1,031

nannypam, that's exactly what I do when I make a pan of scouse. Got the idea from seeing the 'hot-pot pie' that my daughter buys from a butcher at Thatto Heath!

Yeah - I know that it's delicious - but, quite honestly, I can't justify buying it when it's so easy to make your own unsure.png .

leschip    1,265

Glassman, it's a matter of what you prefer. As to being a St Helener, I'm a Prescotian, with Thatto Heath parentage. Mind you if I could make pastry as good as my Mum's then ours would occasionaly have a crust on. :)

Edited by leschip

Olliebeak    1,031

Wow, Ollie, that Hotel looks lovely, did you ever stay there?

Don't think I've posted a link to a hotel, Phyll unsure.png - was it, perhaps, leschip's link to The Northcote :dunno:.

leschip    1,265

If it is me Phyll then no I have not stayed there. I have met the Chef Patron Nigel Hawarth and he is a very good bloke. His head chef Lisa Allen is a first class chef and has represented our region in the "Great British Menu". Nigel also owns 4 gastro pubs again the standard is first class. The Three fishes at Mitton is my fave venue.:)

bridger    20

Big pan of lobbies or scouse one day suet crust on leftovers next day HEAVEN.

Gotta be suet crust mmmmm

I should be so lucky, there's never any leftovers in our house to put a crust on laugh.png

Phyll    1,610

Sorry Ollie and Leschip, got mixed up, was past my bedtime.ohyeah.gif

Anyway, looks a lovely place, love to stay there one day.ohyeah.gif