Sign in to follow this  
jjc

lion in the clegg

jjc    2

looking through some of me dads old photos, found some of the recovery of a lion (dead of course) form the clegg/clay hole in the mid to late 70's. does anyone remember how the body got there?

Leeroy    0

The story went along the lines of a circus that came to st helens dumped the lion in the clegg following its death . this is one of those that seem to be a bit of an urban myth round thatto heath , with people saying its true another saying its not , do you really have pictures of this ? i would be really intrested in seeing them if possible ?

Lee

jjc    2

He's got photos of men in a boat towing the carcus across the clegg, you can clearly see it's mane. I acctually remember watch them. Will try and post them this week if i manage to get to me dads to pick them up.

daystate    10

I'm sure there would be lots of people interested in seeing them pictures, myself included :yes::yes:

predator    1

looking through some of me dads old photos, found some of the recovery of a lion (dead of course) form the clegg/clay hole in the mid to late 70's. does anyone remember how the body got there?

This is a blast from the past >>>> my old job was at ibstock brick eltoheadroad and i was the one who bulldozed the tip etc there & my fathers skiphire busness roby skiphire from sherdley road hired a skip to the circus for general waste etc anyway i was that man lol who bulldozed it into the cleg as you call it all i called it was the tip but do remember the water was very blue at first and i would of been around 21years old at the time i was there over 3/4 years filling it in

what i do know is it was very deep around 81ft in places because the water was dipped/mapped 2 blokes in a rowing boat to map the bottom etc & we even found a coal seam there but was instructed to hide/bury it

i could go there today and show you were the clayhole started etc and were the coal is lol i know even to this day were i shoved the lion in

Leeroy    0

He's got photos of men in a boat towing the carcus across the clegg, you can clearly see it's mane. I acctually remember watch them. Will try and post them this week if i manage to get to me dads to pick them up.

that would be fantastic ! many thanks :-)

jjc    2

I've the photos, just don't know how to post the darn things!!!!!!!!

dibuzz    87

This is a blast from the past >>>> my old job was at ibstock brick eltoheadroad and i was the one who bulldozed the tip etc there & my fathers skiphire busness roby skiphire from sherdley road hired a skip to the circus for general waste etc anyway i was that man lol who bulldozed it into the cleg as you call it all i called it was the tip but do remember the water was very blue at first and i would of been around 21years old at the time i was there over 3/4 years filling it in

what i do know is it was very deep around 81ft in places because the water was dipped/mapped 2 blokes in a rowing boat to map the bottom etc & we even found a coal seam there but was instructed to hide/bury it

i could go there today and show you were the clayhole started etc and were the coal is lol i know even to this day were i shoved the lion in

Did you ever live in Cranshaw Avenue? I remember a family called Roby, I'm sure they had a skip hire business. They had a little girl who dropped a flagstone on her leg and broke it (the leg not the flagstone).

Now I think about it, it may have been scrap metal not skips.

jjc    2

Le200,

Ive uploaded the photos, i think. I hope it's worked and someone can put them in the right place for me.

Thanks jjc

SHC-1263339007-U4671.jpg

SHC-1263386099-U3568.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

predator    1

Did you ever live in Cranshaw Avenue? I remember a family called Roby, I'm sure they had a skip hire business. They had a little girl who dropped a flagstone on her leg and broke it (the leg not the flagstone).

Now I think about it, it may have been scrap metal not skips.

tis me yes No 19 cranshaw and the girl was alison & i got the blame for the flags and we did own a scrap yard aswell lol on sherdley road next to gypo camp and one at haydock back of juddfield st

all the wood there use to be a right pain i had the job of removing it when the wind was blowing towards me i had to leg it back to the plant compound and track a jcb 5c to the waters edge and sit there all day removing it it was very dangerous because of all the water running under the digger making the edge prone to giving way with me on it not funny at all over 80ft water

please tell me why would someone risk there lives in a wooden boat to recover a dead stinky animal ??

just got to add as a young lad of 19/20 back then would find it amusing watchin the lads scinny dipping trying and sometimes sucessfully getting the girls to skinny dip aswell i use to just sit and watch somedays on the dozer eatin me buttys lol & no i,am not a perv i think it was so inocent what they were doing lads trying there best to get a blimp of a girls ass etc lol

bet it would,nt happen thesedays

Edited by predator

jjc    2

SHC-1263377789-U4671.jpg

Tried to upload the other photo. and failed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by jjc

Le200    1,371

The first picture is a cracker jjc :thumb:

f you can't upload you could e-mail them to me and I'll pass them over to Dave for posting.

textpic.php?size=15&words=le200@btinternet.com

dibuzz    87

tis me yes No 19 cranshaw and the girl was alison & i got the blame for the flags and we did own a scrap yard aswell lol on sherdley road next to gypo camp and one at haydock back of juddfield st

I lived at 29. It's funny what things stick in your mind, I've never forgotten seeing Alison in her little plaster cast, maybe that's why the name stuck in my mind and I called my daughter Alison. My son is always in the scrapyard behind Juddfield street looking for bits for his and his mates' cars.

daystate    10

Great photo jjc, I would'nt of believed it without seein it for meself, nice one :thumb:

jjc    2

Thanks for posting the photos for me, I'm a bit thick when it comes to computer things!!!!!!!!!

forgot to say the date on the back of the photos is 1980.

Edited by jjc

jjc    2

Thanks for the link, will try and sort it out tomorrow.

Veronica    8

Was this not when there was a Circus parked up around that area some years ago I think I remember there were several animals died at that time and that they had simply dumped them rather than call in the authorities.

Veronica

Alibob    0

I lived at 29. It's funny what things stick in your mind, I've never forgotten seeing Alison in her little plaster cast, maybe that's why the name stuck in my mind and I called my daughter Alison. My son is always in the scrapyard behind Juddfield street looking for bits for his and his mates' cars.

Phyll    1,628

Alibob, Welcome to Connect. I hope you find lots of interesting topics on here

and that you'll join in, did you forget to post something? :welcome:

these days the clegg is part of a park which includes thatto heath crusaders ground and club house, i go fishing in the clegg from time to time and it carries a goo head of perch and carp.

gangad    1,194

i worked at taylor park then when the police came for a boat to get the lion out i thought they were taking the pee

Olliebeak    1,033
........ i go fishing in the clegg from time to time and it carries a goo head of perch and carp.

I've been for a walk around the Clegg and back via Elephant Lane, with my daughter and grandkids a few times, Hj - will have to keep my eyes peeled specially for you next time :thumb: .

I've been for a walk around the Clegg and back via Elephant Lane, with my daughter and grandkids a few times, Hj - will have to keep my eyes peeled specially for you next time :thumb: .

how will you know it's me ollie, that photo in my avatar is definitely not me.