Hill - Mercer

Dave
    By Dave,
    My head is a bit done in over this... I've just recently gone back over my old emails and - I'm not sure but I might have found my g g grandmother... The above info was sent to me in an email in March 2001' date=' and I'd dismissed it... but I'm looking into it again. I've checked the batch number and as well as Sarah - if this is right - I've got her sister Mary, Christened in 1827, and brother John, Christened on 11 October 1831 (All at New Chapel Independent - Where would 'New Chapel Independent' be?). All children of Matthew and Martha Hill. Now - going off the info in the email - should I believe that her mother Martha's surname was 'Sutton', or should I think that they came from the Sutton area and that a marriage I've just found on IGI Film number 456838 - of Matthew Hill (b. abt. 1800) and Martha Mercer (b.abt. 1804) on 8 June 1825 would be more like it? Hmmm... here we go again... I'll explain why I'm not sure. I think I dismissed the christening record because I'd assumed that Sarah's mother was called Sarah Hill. The christening for Sarah (Hill) Critchley matches with her age on the buriel record at St Helens Cemetery. Calculate: Mar 1826 - Feb 1973 = 46 yrs 11mths Sarah Critchley was Sarah Hill before she married Henry Critchley. I know this because it says so on their wedding certificate (which gives her father's name as Matthew Hill), and also on the birth certificate of their daughter Sarah Ellen Critchley. The problem is that I'd always assumed that Sarah Hill - died age 75 in 1881 was Sarah's mother - Henry's mother-in-law. Why else would she be buried in that grave? Theory: this Sarah Hill might have been Matthew Hill's second wife - maybe Martha died earlier. So she'd be Sarah Critchley-nee Hill's step mother... maybe? Another reason why this Martha may have been Sarah Critchley-nee Hill's mother is because it looks as though one of Henry and Sarah's earliest children was a girl called Martha - and if it was right it'd look something like this:     Matthew Hill born abt. 1800 Martha Mercer born about 1804.   Married: 08 JUN 1825 Saint Helens, Lancashire, England Sarah Hill, born abt. 1826, died 1873 Mary Hill, born abt.1827 John Hill, born abt 1831   Sarah Hill (1826 - 1873_   Henry Critchley (1824 - 1882)   Married on 9 Jul 1843 at Rainford Chapel     Henry Martha Mary Margaret Sarah Ellen So where does Sarah Hill - born about 1806, died 1882 fit in? Befuddled...

Lancashire Books

Dave
    By Dave,
    A great list of books - with a section about St Helens publications.   Lancashire Books

Theatre Royal

Sister Twix
    By Sister Twix,
    Probably a bit of a long-shot, but am really desperate for any information relating to the Theatre Royal (Corportation Street), specifically dating from when it was built in 1885 and including the tragedies that it suffered, the fire in the 1890's and when the ceiling collapsed in 1945.   Any information/stories/photographs/web-links etc etc which you may feel may assist will be greatly appreciated.

Rigby

splus
    By splus,
    Just found out that my grandmother's maiden name was Rigby.   Annie Rigby married James White and lived in Booth St, Thatto Heath, St Helens. She died in the 1950s. I can probably refine those dates as I have the death cert somewhere.   Can anyone help me with details of Annie's family?

Lend me your brains

splus
    By splus,
    Work this out.   My William White doesn't show on the 1881 for where I thought he was. He wouldn't have been married to the wife I have, as she would only be 15 (or 13) as the data I have one her shows that she was born in 1866 (but died in 1927, aged 59).   The one I've found does show as married though. He could've been married twice as the above wife was 13 (or 15) years younger than him...a fair bit.   Anyway this William shows as a bargee, moored up in Pennington in Leigh, on the Bridgwater Canal. The wife I have for him came from around the Wigan/Leigh area.   Is this too tenuous, or even understandable? The gut instinct is so strong, or do I just WANT to believe it?

1851Census Market Street St. Helens

Guest bobhill
    By Guest bobhill,
    Hello , Does anyone have the 1851 census please? We are looking for an Archibald Hill who may have been living in Market Street where his Daughter Matilda was born 2 March 1852,which is more likely, or Peter Street where he had a son born in 1853. Can anyone please help?   Thanks   Bob Hill

JONES

1moxnix
    By 1moxnix,
    Florence THORNTON was the mother of two older boys and twins, Harold JONES and David JONES of St Helens. The father was Richard JONES. Richard raised David and Florence raised Harold. The other two sons were shipped to Canada as Home Children. The entire family was estranged but today the children of three of the sons, Richard, Bill and David are attempting to contact the remaining cousins in St Helens. To the best of our knowledge the children of Harold JONES are Doreen and Allen (Alan?) JONES.   Another person we would like to contact is Florence's daughter Margaret BROWN of St Helens. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

THORNTON

1moxnix
    By 1moxnix,
    Florence THORNTON was the mother of two older boys and twins, Harold JONES and David JONES of St Helens. The father was Richard JONES. Richard raised David and Florence raised Harold. The other two sons were shipped to Canada as Home Children. The entire family was estranged but today the children of three of the sons are attempting to contact the remaining cousins in St Helens. To the best of our knowledge at least two of these siblings are Doreen and Allen (Alan?) JONES. Another person we would like to contact is Florence's daughter Margaret BROWN of St Helens. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. .

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS