Thomas Abrams/Abrahams/Abraham

John
    By John,
    Greetings from Charlotte, NC! I have a marriage certificate for my GGGrandparents, Thomas Abrams(listed as Abraham) and Mary Middlehurst. They were married at the Parish Church St Helens 7 November 1858. His father was Thomas - a Miner, and hers was James - a Joiner. Their residence is listed simply as St Helens. She was listed on the 1861 Census as being in Ashton-in-Makerfield at her parents residence, but Thomas was not there. (My GGrandfather, William Abrams, was born 18 April 1861, about 2 weeks after the Censu was taken.) Thomas died in a pit accident 13 December 1862 at the Pewfall Coliery, Haydock, which is listed as St Helens. He is buried in St Thomas Churchyard, Ashton-in-Makerfield.   Would the church records of the marriage (if they still exist) list further information about the couple? If so, where might I find this information? Being in the "States", I have to rely on what I can find through the web.   The surname is Abrams, but is variously listed as Abraham on the marriage certificate, Abrams on Mary's 2nd marriage certificate, William's birth certificate, and Abrahams (for William) on the 1881 census. Any help would be greatly appreciated. John

Poor Law

Mickp
    By Mickp,
    Has anybody had any look get hold of info from the Poor Law Records?   My great grand-dad died in ST Helens Workhouse but more importantly his great grandmother was in receipt if poor relief in the 1840's. I had a good dig in the Lancs RO but found little.   It would appear that with the church burning down so many times the parish chest went with it!   Mick Phythian

Introduction

ginny
    By ginny,
    Hello to all members, I'm researching the Hartley, Berry(ing), Ogle families from St. Helens. This the first forum I've ever joined and am trying to find my way around. The site is brilliant but it's all new to me using this type of software so please bear with me if I make any blunders

Pigots Directory 1828

jill
    By jill,
    have aquired a 1828 Pigots Directory for Cumberland, Lancashire and Westmoreland. If anyone wants a look up please let me know

ELLEN MERCER

jill
    By jill,
    I am getting nowhere trying to find info on Ellen Mercer before she married Job Barlow. She was born @ 1833 St Helens. She's not on the IGI,Nor the parish registers of St Helens or Prescot Parish Churches, or Burtonwood St Michaels where her father came from. Any clues as to where to look next, or any links to other researchers gratefully received

Watchmaker Apprentices 1710 - 1810

val
    By val,
    I have a book detailing Clockmakers and Watchmakers Apprentice Records between 1710 and 1810 on library loan for 3 weeks. If you think your family might have been involved in the this trade anywhere in Britain I can look up.

SMITH, Ann

Lyn
    By Lyn,
    Just found Ann Smith b abt 1830 Warrington. (died 1888)   Married William Knowles b. abt. 1828 St Helens   Marriage 1849 Prescot Reg.   Looking for any connections...   Lyn

Pennington family research - help!

Sarah
    By Sarah,
    Hi, I am trying to help my Father In Law trace some of his family history/roots/present relatives; and thought you might be able to help? It is a sad story and is also like looking for a needle in a haystack, but the Internet is a big place and I am Optimistic about finding some info, no matter how small. My Father In law lost his Dad in a tragic Motorcycle accident in approximately 1960 (give or take a year), he was (Brian, my Father In law) appx 15 at the time. All the info I have is that his name was Ernest Pennington, he worked for Pilkingtons Glass works in St Helens and my Father In Laws mother was called Elizabeth (more commonly known as Lizzie), she later became a Scarth. Brian is known as Scarth too, but his birth certificate shows that he was also named Ernest Pennington after his Father. Due to circumstances at the time of Brians birth (3/4/1945) Ernest and Lizzie were unable to be together, but it was 15 years later that Ernest was travelling back to Haltwhistle in Northumberland to be with Lizzie, that he was unfortunately killed. If you have any info or think you might have something which would help, I would be extremely grateful if you’d get in touch.   Yours hopefully Sarah Bell (yes I know, Brian Scarth who is ‘really’ Ernest Pennington, is actually my Husbands Step Father, that’s why I’m Bell and not Scarth or ‘Pennington’!!!!)

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS