Registration Districts

eejayess
    By eejayess,
    Can anyone tell me where a birth would be registered for someone born Rainhill 1835 and also Billinge 1866

Chair at front door

Alan
    By Alan,
    Do you remember when you were little and if it was a nice day th'eld women would take a chair out into the street by their front door and sit watching the world go by?

BONNEY

anglegrind
    By anglegrind,
    Researching William Bonney a shoemaker who lived in Church St then Brook St. Married Jane Critchley.

Gerard School

bridger
    By bridger,
    Does anyone remember Gerard School, in Cowley Street, St. Helens. It was an Infants School, and was still going till about 1953. I've never seen it mentioned anywhere in either Local newspapers or local history. I went there until I was 7 and then we transferred to Lowe House School after that. Sadly that school is now closed also. Going back to Gerard School, I remember the teachers as Miss Corsey, Miss Burrows, Miss Whittaker, and Miss Hartley. Hope someone else remembers. B)

US Army camp

eejayess
    By eejayess,
    Is there any history or war buffs that knows what american army camps where in or around Prescot during WWII, but not Burtonwood. I am trying to trace an american sergeant who used to go dancing in Prescot, a long shot I know.

W.W.2. Camps

Walton
    By Walton,
    Can any of you local history buffs identify a camp at Bold Heath, St Helens and a camp at Halton, Widnes and tell me who was based there, what the camps were used for and any other info you might have about them. Do they still exit,(unlikely !)what is there now.?

HAMILTON

I forget
    By I forget,
    Julie re: HAMILTON family. Yes we are researching the same family I have just checked my 1881 census entry for John and Catherine HAMILTON and it looks to be the same one you sent me details of. 'My' Benjamin was living with his in-laws at this point. Which is why it didn't immediately ring a bell.   I have more details on John and Catherine, though not their marriage as yet.   Once I have moved I will post here and try to e-mail you again.   To be going on with the HAMILTONS in 1871:   RG10/3864 page 8 address: 141 Westfield Street Eccleston St Helens   John, head, 37, Printers Compositor, born Manchester Catherine, wife, 34, born Warrington Children: William, 16, John, 15, Joseph, 13, Benjamin, 11, Peter, 9, Richard, 7, Catherine, 5, James, 3, Charles, 1, and Catherine CALDWELL, 74, mother-in-law   I have a possible ref for 1861 with them living in Lyon Street (which is where Benjamin was born) which you can find on the index in the documents and tables database section under 1861 St helens census. I have not followed this up as yet.   In addition there is a HAMILTON relation who has more information going back to at least the 1790's who I have yet to get in touch with. So watch this space......   If there is anyone else who is researching this name and any of the above rings a bell, do pm me or post here and let me know.   Cindy

Nobby Thompson

eejayess
    By eejayess,
    Anyone remember Nobby Thompson's chippy on Ellamsbridge Rd. If my memory serves me right the chips were always cold, I thought Rigby's on Peckers Hill Rd were better.

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS