The golden age of tut tuts

Alan
    By Alan,
    The golden age of tut tuts came when they started to tarmac over the cobbles. Oh the joy that could be had from a set of old pram wheels, some wood and a length of rope.

Little old men

Alan
    By Alan,
    Do you remember em. Every street had one. They used to go out in the morning and spend the day walking, usually the same route. We had one in Harris Street who used to walk to Bickerstaffe and back every day. The dogs were always black and white terrier types with curly tails

Wild dog

Guest bobhill
    By Guest bobhill,
    Remember when we about 11 going looking for what they called a wild dog on the Kimmicks it was supposed to be a wolf ,but we never saw it, was it real

Gill Bond's

daveshome
    By daveshome,
    Does anybody remember Gill Bonds Toffee Shop over the road from the Fingerpost Co-op and at the side of the Parr Dog.   I can still remember me Mam's Divi number from that Co-op, it was 27113, is that sad or what....?

Best Pint

Guest bobhill
    By Guest bobhill,
    Who had the best pint in St. Helens?   I reckon the Wheatsheaf in Westfield Street when the German lady ran the pub   I also remember when Jack Frodsham had the Prince of Wales (black and white)Pub and the ale in there was pretty good too.

Walker update

jill
    By jill,
    I have just updated the Walker page on my website, they only moved to Sutton in the 1910's, but I thought it may be of interest to some people.

VARLEY/MALKIN/CONWAY

ginny
    By ginny,
    Names researching VARLEY/MALKIN/CONWAY/OGLE/BERRY/HARTLEY

Photographs - a thank you & question

GardenAngel
    By GardenAngel,
    Just wanted to say a huge thank you for making all the photographs available on this site. I don't live in St Helens but all of my maternal ancestors did - my grandfather, Thomas Woods (who lived in Elephant's Lane at the turn of the century) was a coal miner and from what I have been told he brought his family to Southport following the strike of 1926. As you can imagine I am fascinated by the photos on this site - particularly those related to coal mining. I am trying to make a scrapbook about my family history and my query really is whether I may print any or all of the photos on here to use in that scrapbook?   Looking at the photos has really given me more questions than answers - I realise how little I really know and must go and talk some more to my 80 year old aunt (Thomas's daughter, and the only relative who seems to remember their time in St Helens) and then come and look some more! Pity she doesn't have a computer - I must get her to my house so she can look at this fantastic site!   Thanks so much, just wanted to let you know how very much your efforts are appreciated. Regards Kerry (Southport)

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS